6.0L Hard Start - cold and warm, runs fine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Hard Start - cold and warm, runs fine

Thread title says it all, but this beast has 96k mi, has had troubles for 16k miles. It starts after cranking for a while - not immediately, but slowly until it reaches idle speed. Once started, cold or hot, it runs like a scolded cat with no loss of power, smoke, or any other problem.

Today replaced the GPCM harness via Navistar wiring kit. Made no difference. Other items replaced recently - new batteries (last week), crankshaft position and camshaft position sensors two weeks ago. The sensors made a big difference in power and driveability.

In the last year have also replaced HPOP, and proactively the EGR valve and cooler (went with aftermarket), oil cooler, turbocharger wastegate actuator, FICM, GPCM controller. All of these things help with driveability and power. Hard start cropped up as a cold start issue but now is an issue cold or hot.

Any suggestions for what to check next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd.adam View Post
Thread title says it all, but this beast has 96k mi, has had troubles for 16k miles. It starts after cranking for a while - not immediately, but slowly until it reaches idle speed. Once started, cold or hot, it runs like a scolded cat with no loss of power, smoke, or any other problem.

Today replaced the GPCM harness via Navistar wiring kit. Made no difference. Other items replaced recently - new batteries (last week), crankshaft position and camshaft position sensors two weeks ago. The sensors made a big difference in power and driveability.

In the last year have also replaced HPOP, and proactively the EGR valve and cooler (went with aftermarket), oil cooler, turbocharger wastegate actuator, FICM, GPCM controller. All of these things help with driveability and power. Hard start cropped up as a cold start issue but now is an issue cold or hot.

Any suggestions for what to check next?
Ive had a few like this! what you need to do is pay attention to oil pressure gauge on dash. When you crank it in the morning does the truck start right after the gauge goes up? If so the oil is draining back to the pan. This could be from a scored front cover at the gear rotor assy or the plunger under the oil filter is busted off. First things first lets see if it is a oil pressure issue! get back to me on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hope this works. This morning's cold start.
06 F350 Cold Start Dash Shot - YouTube

Looks like it's starting before the oil pressure goes up. This start wasn't actually as slow as most of them - didn't crank as long nor 'hand off' from the starter as slowly as usual. Will drive it around and warm it up and try a warm start video and post that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drove the truck around the block to warm it up. No smoke, no driveability issues at all that I could detect. Brought it back and shut it down for two different lengths of time. Second video is more like what I'm experiencing. The starts in the videos aren't as bad as typical, but in the second one it's getting laggy. If you could extend the cranking interval out 20 seconds that would be more like it.

Warm start after 20 sec shutdown:
06 F350 Warm Start after 20s shutdown - YouTube

Warm start after 3 min shutdown:
06 F350 Warm Start after 3 minutes shutdown - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One more video - 2 hr cooldown after last warm start

This time it ran a bit rough for a minute. Start is still not as bad as it gets, but is 'in the ballpark' relative to crank time and slow fire-off. I noted it started well ahead of the oil pressure coming up.

6.0L F350 Warm start after 2 hour cooldown - YouTube

Shop and scan tool time? Hadn't noticed the miss before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sussex NJ
Posts: 1,527
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subscribed, having similar issues!



Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd.adam View Post
This time it ran a bit rough for a minute. Start is still not as bad as it gets, but is 'in the ballpark' relative to crank time and slow fire-off. I noted it started well ahead of the oil pressure coming up.

6.0L F350 Warm start after 2 hour cooldown - YouTube

Shop and scan tool time? Hadn't noticed the miss before.
sounds like a ficm check volts mpwr to ficm cold! turn key on and start it cold and see if ficm volts drop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Semper Fi

 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 72
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm having similar issues with my truck as well since I brought it home from the dealer a month ago. I've read through many threads here on the forum but haven't pin-pointed exactly what is going on with mine. I've been observing different parameters and have compiled a list of what I have. No recent maintenance has been performed. I checked the engine oil yesterday after it had sat for about 4 hours and it indicated low on the dipstick. (Which brings up another question, if the oil level was in between the top and the bottom of the indicator on the tip of the dipstick, how much oil needs to be added?) I noticed that the ICP at idle is around 580psi, I read in colo-dually痴 write up that idle pressure should be around 650psi. Would this indicate a worn fuel pressure regulator spring or something else? I also shot a video today that gives a perfect example of what is going on. In the video you can see my monitor display with FICM voltage (which appears normal) and ICP (which appears to take time to build to the 500psi required to start). In the background you can hear the engine cranking and the crappy takeoff it finally achieves. The video was shot after driving for about 20 miles, then I shut the truck off for about 2 minutes, then shot the video as I was trying to start it. I知 not sure what other observations I should state besides the ones here and the info shown on the Edge CTS in the video. I recently bought this truck from an independent dealer who did not service it before I took it off their hands. My plan for Thursday (day after tomorrow) is to change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filters to baseline my maintenance intervals. I also plan on throwing in the Rev-X oil treatment with this oil change as well. I知 hoping that fresh fluids and filters will make a difference but I知 not sure. Maybe this will help others here as well. Any advice is much appreciated.

YouTube link to my video:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie


 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UPPER SALFORD PA
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 80
Thanked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TClev View Post
I'm having similar issues with my truck as well since I brought it home from the dealer a month ago. I've read through many threads here on the forum but haven't pin-pointed exactly what is going on with mine. I've been observing different parameters and have compiled a list of what I have. No recent maintenance has been performed. I checked the engine oil yesterday after it had sat for about 4 hours and it indicated low on the dipstick. (Which brings up another question, if the oil level was in between the top and the bottom of the indicator on the tip of the dipstick, how much oil needs to be added?) I noticed that the ICP at idle is around 580psi, I read in colo-dually痴 write up that idle pressure should be around 650psi. Would this indicate a worn fuel pressure regulator spring or something else? I also shot a video today that gives a perfect example of what is going on. In the video you can see my monitor display with FICM voltage (which appears normal) and ICP (which appears to take time to build to the 500psi required to start). In the background you can hear the engine cranking and the crappy takeoff it finally achieves. The video was shot after driving for about 20 miles, then I shut the truck off for about 2 minutes, then shot the video as I was trying to start it. I知 not sure what other observations I should state besides the ones here and the info shown on the Edge CTS in the video. I recently bought this truck from an independent dealer who did not service it before I took it off their hands. My plan for Thursday (day after tomorrow) is to change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filters to baseline my maintenance intervals. I also plan on throwing in the Rev-X oil treatment with this oil change as well. I知 hoping that fresh fluids and filters will make a difference but I知 not sure. Maybe this will help others here as well. Any advice is much appreciated.

YouTube link to my video:

'06 F250 6.0L Powerstroke Starting Problem - YouTube
That sounds like a weak hpop to me! Do a air test to hpos and listen with the oil cap off after closing ipr valve se if it gurgles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Semper Fi

 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 72
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
That sounds like a weak hpop to me! Do a air test to hpos and listen with the oil cap off after closing ipr valve se if it gurgles!
So I got off work this morning, the truck took about 5 or 6 seconds of cranking to start. I drove about 15 miles to a drugstore a few blocks away from my apartment. I shut the truck off and went in to pick up a few things. When I came back out, the truck would not start. It cranks and cranks all day long, but the ICP wouldn't go above 350psi. FICM voltage remained good at 48v. The truck was parked on an decent incline (nose up). I tried rolling back to a more level area with no luck. I had the truck towed to my parking lot (just a few blocks away, what a waste of $65) After I paid the tow truck driver, I tried starting it now that it was on level ground... It cranked for about 6 seconds and started. I've got a pretty good idea that it's the HPOP. Anyone have any other input? I'd like to try the air test, Jugernaut, but I don't have any of that equipment. I don't have a garage anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
6.0 l psd hard start

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors