engine knocking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine knocking

The guys at the shop were drving and all of a sudden BANG! Grey/whiteish smoke coming out the tail pipe at idle and it knocks on the left side. It idles smooth but when i went to start it it would rotate some, then hit a hard spot. I can still see coolant in the tank and the oil is good. I'm sure it's a coincidense but i just replaced the coolant filter this morning, on the dieselsite kit i put in a while back. anyways, where's the place to buy a compression gauge with adapter for a 6.0....ps: 255,000 miles and it has and EGR delete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With an egr delete it sounds like an injector is stuck open. Does the smoke reek of fuel? Also check for codes and seevif there is contribution fault in a cylinder. If there is pull that cylinders glow plug and crank the engine over with the ficm relay out. I would wager fuel shoots out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 AM

thats exactly what i was thinking. the day was ending so i didnt have time to look at it. There's 2 contribution codes #2 being one of them, that injection sounds week when doing buzz test so ill start with that one...I'll keep you posted
Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 AM

fuel shooting out of #2 cylinder while cranking and it doesnt stop. Making a hell of a knocking noise while cranking too!! Could of bent the rod?? I put that injector in there back in late March. Is ford gonna warranty the engine? my ***...but anyways, isn't there a class action lawsuit against injectors failling and destroying engines?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Hope you get everything sorted out!!

Tom
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
fuel shooting out of #2 cylinder while cranking and it doesnt stop. Making a hell of a knocking noise while cranking too!! Could of bent the rod?? I put that injector in there back in late March. Is ford gonna warranty the engine? my ***...but anyways, isn't there a class action lawsuit against injectors failling and destroying engines?
If you put the injector in...why would ford warranty your motor? First you need to start with pulling that injector and replacing it. Make sure you blow the injector hold down bolt hole out with air to get all the oil out of it. Install the new one and all components and fire it up. See if it still knocks after running for a bit with a new injector.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM

welp! i pulled the injector out and the copper washer was GONE! second time this has happened on this truck (#3). Compression from the engine melted the bottom o-ring and fuel was pouring in the cylinder. I'm waiting on the new injector to get to my shop, i'm pretty sure it will still knock when i'm done....
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Make sure the hold down hole is free of oil and debri... that is normaly what causes that.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM

twas the injector...ran like an ape! cat and muffler were full of fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.