Thinking its time for an oil cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Thinking its time for an oil cooler

I think its time to change my oil cooler. Lately i have noticed my temps are getting higher and higher. Last night coming home from the sand dunes pulling a 15 foot trailer with my rzr on it. My oil temp was 215 and coolant was 192. it was about 50 degrees and on flat ground with no wind. I can hit a 15 -20 degree delta empty going down the highway at 70. It doesnt stay very long but it still worries me that the cooler is going out. I lost the egr cooler somewhere a long time ago so i can rule that out. I also just installed a coolant filter.

Do you guys thinks it would be wise to go ahead and replace the cooler and flush and fill back up with elc coolant? Who has the best cooler out there? I wish i had the funds for the bulletproof kit but thats out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Flush with chemicals before you swap oil coolers or else you will clog the new cooler. Follow the guide posted in the 6.0 tech section. It answers alot of flushing questions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Who has the best oil cooler out there? what else should i do while im in there? Im hoping it will hold on till my next oil change cause i just changed it
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM

I found one on rock auto made by Dorman for 134 bucks. Would you guys trust it?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dorman tends to be cheap, Chinese stuff. I'd probably not go that route because getting to the cooler looks to be a PITA.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

dont go with oem cooler I had headstuds, full delete and new oil cooler installed 3 weeks ago and I did a vc-9 flush for about an hr. then ran water for 3 days and drained and replaced with distilled water and did the headwork and some crap was still left in there now im seeing 9 delta just cruising.

do the bpd oil cooler kit if you can afford.

Im saving for it now because my 2nd oil cooler is showing signs but still within spec.

192 ect and 201 eot crusing 65 on highway....

click on my name and find the thread with "Nighmare in the heading"

Truck nightmare or am i just to being dumb?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OEM Oil cooler is what I'd do if Bulletproof is too much.

Before changing it flush with restore and restore plus (follow instructions as advised above) and then run coolant filter for several hundred miles, changing out your filter at least twice (three times is better) to get the crap out of your system. The left over crap is what clogs the oil cooler. Once you have the new cooler run CAT EC-1 rated coolant and you shouldn't have more problems.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM

An update on my problem. Added a little coolant to the degas tank the other day. Come to find out my sinister coolant filter is leaking around the crrimped fitting that gouse to the de gas tank. Anyway i decided to take it out for a spin. Got her up to normal operating temp and let her loose. 7 miles at 110 mph. Yes you read that right 7 miles at 110 mph! That is one reason I love living in western kansas. I figured she is going to blow or hold strong. MY temps never got more than 7 degrees apart. So do you guys think my extreme temp differences were a fluke or should i still be worried?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

you need to find a good tll hill (in Kansas?) and crank ac on hi and floor it up in 3rd gear and see what she says but 7 degrees sounds good man. your coolant temp could of risen because of leak.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Update. My temps now get and stay around the 13-17 degree difference. Parts i need to do this change. List anything i miss. Oil cooler, intake gaskets, coolant, Do i have to run cat elc or will another brand of elc be ok?, flush chemicals, beer, turbo install kit, more beer, anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.