Another 6.0 No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Z00KA
Another 6.0 No Start

2004 F350 with only 54k miles...yup, just 54K! Anyway, over the last week, truck would start, but "diesel" (rough running), but would smooth out after a minute of idling, then everything was good (power, smooth, etc.). Drove it work a few day ago, and figured the start up problem was due to my egr "cokeing up" and ran it pretty hard for a about 20 minutes (accelerating up to 80 mph after dropping down to around 55, and back up again). Truck ran smooth, no chugging or coughing. Next day...same rough startup, then smooth to work. After work, cranking but almost starting with black smoke, but alas...no start and battery that needed replacement, cranked down pretty quickly. New batteries...no luck. Noticed fuel level was just above empty, so trucked in 5 gallons...crank but no luck.

Today, put a OBD2 scanner on it...no fault codes. Towed it home, oil change with Rotella T, new oil filter, new fuel filters (plenty of fuel in upper cup) but both filters pretty dirty. Pulled the EGR and it was "coked". Cleaned with carb cleaner and reinstalled. Cranked and it sounded like it really wanted to start, but wouldn't... didn't want to crank on it too long. Will put my battery charger on it over the new few days try again.

Now, my fault...even though the mileage was less than 5000 miles since my last oil change (Motorcraft) (she doesn't get driven much) it has been a little over a year since oil change (today)!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. - so embarrassed to post about the neglect I've put her through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Mine did something similar. It was the HPOP.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Z00KA
Sorry for my ignorance...HPOP?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM

HPOP = high pressure oil pump
You show all the classic signs of no low oil pressure in the high pressure side! So that is usually caused by a crapped out HPOP or bad o-rings on the stand pipes or dummy plugs. Pumps cost around $600 depends where you get them or if you really plan on keeping the truck get that billet pump made to solve all the 03-04 pump problems think they are closer to $1000 though.
You need to do an air check to see if it is the o-rings or pump to narrow it down or just bite the bullet n just do all of it so you don't have to sweat it anymore
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm also experiecing the same problem truck started up fine, just took a while to fire up, then when I got off work the engine keeps cranking and no start, my oil pressure gauge didn't move an inch. Check for codes nothing came up had the truck towed back home, and laid on the starter with my foot on the gas pedal it started right up could the ficm be the problem or the hpop ? Sorry Zooka for the thread jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.