It has been discussed..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It has been discussed.....

Alright, so I know this has been discussed many times, but I am having some trouble finding any posts with my particular symptoms. I have some readings for you guys to look at after I explain the problem. I have an Edge CTS on the truck so the readings were taken from there. If there are any other readings you need, or a better way to take the readings other than the CTS, please let me know with specific instructions or specific PID's on the CTS.

Two days ago after work, I start the truck up and it starts just fine. I let it warm up to about 120 then head down the road. I have no power. Turbo is boosting but it is gutless. I got home and let it sit over night. Got in yesterday morning and had the same issue. Started right up, but no power whatsoever. I checked the codes and had none. I tried standing on the throttle to see if something would happen. Truck sluggishly downshifted but again with no power. RPM's went to 3100 and held there so I let out of it. Checked the codes again and had a P2290 (ICP Voltage Too Low). So I shut the truck off and tried starting it up again (truck is at operating temps) and it just cranks. After about 10 long cranks (6-8 seconds) the truck fires. After the truck started, I cleared the codes again and tried driving it. Threw no codes until I hammered the throttle. It seems that I only get the code when on heavy throttle. Any ideas?

Readings I took were:
ICP Voltage:
KOEO 0.2V
Cold Cranking 2.3-2.5V
Idle Cold 1.3V
FICM Voltage is always between 48 and 49.5V

Truck is a 2004 with 120,xxx miles. Only mods are in the sig below. I returned the truck to stock settings also. Like I said, please let me know if you need more info, and specifically what info. Thanks for all your help.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No one has anything to say????

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is your reading when you hit the pedal driving sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak. Is your Icp reading maintained while driving . Does your IPR increases and ICP lower that sort of stuff will tell if you have a leak.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
what is your reading when you hit the pedal driving sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak. Is your Icp reading maintained while driving . Does your IPR increases and ICP lower that sort of stuff will tell if you have a leak.
I agree sounds like a high pressure oil leak. Definitely something to do with oil pressure or fuel pressure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How do I test the IPR? I was watching the ICP while driving yesterday and it did go up when I hit the pedal. I want to say like 1.8V but I will have to confirm that tomorrow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright. So I went for a drive just now. Truck started up just fine, like it does when it's cold. ICP Volts before start were 0.2V. While cranking went to ~2.4V. After it started and a cold idle, ~1.1 to 1.2V. Let it warm up and went for a drive monitoring the ICP Voltage via my CTS. The voltage would climb when I pushed on the accelerator to about 2.0 volts while holding steady at half throttle. When I pushed it to the floor the voltage would go up to about 2.6V and then drop off to around 1.1V and stay around there until I let out of the throttle. When I let out, it would go back up to 2.8 for a brief second and then drop back to around 1.1V as I let it idle back down. I took some shots of my CTS at cold idle and then at hot idle when I returned home. Hopefully this will get me some answers or at least a starting point from someone on here. Really hate having my truck down. Thanks everyone.

[URL=http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/kevinseipp/media/1657CCB9-07E1-4DE3-995F-A124D918A582-576-0000004DB15E9CD2_zpsbb6cc843.jpg.html][URL]

Last edited by strokevin; 04-28-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just went back out and tried a hot start on the truck. It started, although it did take a little bit longer than normal (maybe 2 seconds cranking). I wanted to check the ICP Voltage at hot idle again. It is more like 0.9V rather than the 1.0V the picture shows or that I stated above. I also did a 4000 RPM runup and it didn't get choppy anywhere or lose ICP Voltage. The ICP V went up to about 2.4V and held steady while the ruck was at ~3800 RPM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Read pressure instead of voltage.

I agree it sounds like a high pressure oil issue.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

If your truck is not under load the ICP will not get very high. You need to compare the ICP for the IPR value commanded. More than likely the ICP low is coding because the IPR is commanded near closed, but the ICP is not reaching the target value. There is no doubt you have a HPO issue, but now you need to figure out if it is IPR, pump or seal related.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
If your truck is not under load the ICP will not get very high. You need to compare the ICP for the IPR value commanded. More than likely the ICP low is coding because the IPR is commanded near closed, but the ICP is not reaching the target value. There is no doubt you have a HPO issue, but now you need to figure out if it is IPR, pump or seal related.
This is the kind of informaiton I was looking for. Thank you. I will report back with my findings. Any suggested starting point? Leak test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.