Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stalling

Ok so I'm driving to work this morning and I stop at a light and my 05 6 litre stalls so I put it in nuetral and it fires right up so I drive up the road another mile and slow down to pull in the driveway and it dies again. So I check it for codes and do a KOER test and also do and injector buzz test and it comes back with no codes. So I call my buddy over at the dealer and take it over there and have him check it for codes and again no codes. It also ran perfect all The way over there and back. The only thing he told me was my ficm voltage was droppinga bit below 48 volts but was only going to 47-46 volts. Anyway tonight I'm driving home and it stalls again and starts right back up. Then it stalls one more time but this time I start it and go to pull it in gear and it stalls right away then I try again and it won't start so I let it sit for a bit and it. Starts but stalls as soon as I put it in gear. Any ideas guys? I am becoming a very frustrated 6 litre owner. My truck has 140,000 miles on it and I put a new ficm in it 7 months ago. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

You need a monitor on it when the event is happening to trouble-shoot it. It could be a number of different issues causing the problem.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I should probably mention that last week it was running great I parked it at work and came out a couple hours later and it wouldn't start it would just turn over so I checked for codes and it had a cam sensor code and an injector pressure too low while cranking so I checked the ICP and it was 12 psi I then had it towed to the dealer and they checked it out and told me that I shouldn't use anything but a ford oil filter in it because the aftermarket ones are not the proper length and they push on the relief valve and cause oil pressure issues and that was my problem
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So today I monitored the Data stream and ithe ICP percentage was all over the map so I was told to pull the icp regulator out and check the end for metal so I did and screen is a little sucked in. So what do you guys think? I have been told a few different things from the regulator need to be replaced becuase of the metal debris and I will also need to replace the high pressure oil pump. I have also been told just put a new regulator in and I have been told it will need an. Oil cooler. So not sure what my next step is
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

The ICP will always be all over the map when driving as a function of load and commanded IPR. If you are all over the place steady-state, then you have a problem. I suspect you are referring to the IPR when you stated ICP%. What was on the screen and was it damaged at all? What were the ICP/IPR readings at idle and at 60mph driving? How about at start and under acceleration? If ICP always stays above 500psi, it will not quit or stall. At cruise it should be around 1000-1100psi. If the IPR is erratic steady-state, it is probably at fault. If it is high at steady-state, you probably have a HPO leak of some type.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 04-27-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It won't drive down the road , I should have wrote the numbers down but the ipr percentage was jumping all around at idle and I know it went as high as 80 percent. When I pulled the IPR out it had metal in and the screen was sucked in and the O ring had a piece missing
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd be concerned about trying to figure out what is coming apart in your engine that there are metal shavings in it. If the metal is aluminum, your front cover could be scored behind the oil pump causing the oil pressure to drop which may starve your HPOP for oil causing the injectors to not work. If it's steel, something is coming apart that shouldn't. You may have a combination of aluminum and steel. If anything steel goes through the oil pump in the front cover, it will score it.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was more tiny particles of dirt and maybe a little bit of metal. But the pieces are very small the O ring is also half missing on the end. Now last time I changed the oil I put in an additive to help the injectors for stiction not that they were giving me an issue but thought it couldn't hurt so I am wondering if by putting that in and the last week when it wouldn't start the dealer told me because I wasn't using a ford filter is was pushing on the releif valve if maybe some un filtered oil has by passed and that's what's in the end of pressure regulator. I installed a new one yesterday and it seems to be running great. I am going to change the oil and keep an eye on things and see what happens I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.