05 Missing / Blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Missing / Blue smoke

Good afternoon,
I have an 05 350 with 98K that was running fine two days ago. I changed the oil and have always used WIX filters. After the oil change i have a small pressure washer (1400) psi that I washed the truck with (not the engine compartment), just the outside and under the chassis in a few areas.

Started the truck drove about 10 miles and noticed it felt like it was missing. I had a new dornman ficm ready to go because I my old one was showing signs of replacement, cold starts and so on. So I changed the ficm, still the same issue. Pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it, notice an immediate smoother idle, but still same issue. I am starting to wonder if I have a bad batch of oil. Last night ordered a new ford oil filter, it will be delivered today and I am going to drain the oil and change to rotella. What else could I be missing? when it bucks / misses from a stop lillte puffs of BLUE smoke come out. at 75K miles I replaced the EGR /Oil cooler, HPOP fitting, Updated Turbo Drain Tube. That was 2 years ago almost to the date. my Intake is not wet, I am not puking coolant or loosing coolant, I have a new Coolant cap and the Truck is NOT Chipped, never has been. I am not sure if pressure washing caused this, although I dont see how. The only thing I did was changed the oil. I found a shop that sells revx and am thinking about that. I have NO DTC codes or at least the scanner at the parts store is not picking any up. The CEL is NOT illuminated. Could this be the oil, intermiitent fuel pump ?? I have read that a possible Camshaft sensor??? I am at a loss, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM

More information:

The smoke is black not blue, I installed the new Motorcraft Oil filter, just in case the wix was collapsing. No change. I pulled the ICP and cleaned it, immediately the CEL illuminated. Went to oreilys to check DTC code and of course P2285 displayed which was anticipated since I unplugged the ICP sensor. What I wasnt expecting is after I delete the code start the truck then shut off then start again the CEL comes on with the same code. So I think I have narrowed it down to the ICP or IPR. I was reading on the IPR on one of the threads here and someone stated if you see a small oil leak at the transmission bell housing it could indicate IPR issues.

Does the IPR throw any codes? The ICP is not cheap and I havent even looked at how much the IPR is.

I tow a heavy 5th wheel and I have a trip planned for this Friday. I am really getting desperate as I dont want the truck to leave me straned alongside the road. Any help or testing ideas would be really appreciated!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

being black, says you're burning fuel. Which for some diesel guys isn't a horrible thing, but the miss is definitely a problem. Do you have any problems with cold vs hot starts? How's your oil pressure gauge looking? My understanding (someone chime in if I'm wrong) but if the IPR sticks open, you'll lose a bit of your high pressure side and will make your low side read low pressure.

If that is the case and you're not seeing a change in oil pressure..try running the truck with the ICP unplugged. It won't hurt it, just makes the engine believe its getting its minimum 500psi to start. Hopefully by that time one of the Techs will chime in and really be able to narrow it down for ya.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 AM

No problems with cold vs hot start, however about two weeks ago I had a warm start issues. I had just shut off the truck at the drive thru and went to start it and it cranked and cranked and cranked and didnt start. Finally on the second attempt it started and I thought, WTF was that? This has happened probably twice in past 3 months. I didn't really make much of it. My oil pressure gauge (Stock) is normal. I do have a dashboss kit being delivered tomorrow to try to figure this out. Could this possibly be the Camshaft sensor, it is located on the drivers side right around the fender well. I was pressure washing it under the rail and I suppose I could of gotten it wet?? But now with the CEL on and giving the same DTC code, should I go ahead and replace the ICP sensor? The friggen IPR valve is 300 bucks and the ICP sensor is 185... My wife is ready to cancel the trip but I am determined to figure this out. Thanks for your reply
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

cam shaft sensor is like behind the power steering pump. I've had to replace mine before and it was a PITA. But my experience with either the CMP or CKP, they throw a code saying thats what it is..at least mine did. You said you replaced your HPOP fitting..I'm assuming you're talking about the STC (snap to connect) which is known to go bad on 05s. That would've honestly been my gut feeling. Unfortunately without proper diagnostic tools I can't help much further, but again, hopefully a tech chimes in and helps out
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM

My wife just called, has hesitation from a stop...takes a second for it to start going and black smoke.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Yes, I did replace the STC fitting. I crawled under the truck and do see a very small oil leak coming from the back of the engine, but looks like it has been like that for awhile. Not even big enough to drip, but an oil leak none the less.

Any ideas what would cause the hesitation from a stop. Has new FICM (Dornman).
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Not sure if this would cause the problem, but I know it wouldn't hurt; pull your EGR valve and try cleaning it out. I've heard it causing hesitation but I'm not sure if would cause the misses and black smoke..I'm just a backyard mechanic. But then again, maybe its your entire problem. Really wish someone with more knowledge than me would chime in so you can make your trip as planned
Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxusmc View Post
Not sure if this would cause the problem, but I know it wouldn't hurt; pull your EGR valve and try cleaning it out. I've heard it causing hesitation but I'm not sure if would cause the misses and black smoke..I'm just a backyard mechanic. But then again, maybe its your entire problem. Really wish someone with more knowledge than me would chime in so you can make your trip as planned
Yeah, That was one of the first things I tried. I was caked pretty good but now it is clean as a whistle, the idle seem to be much smoother but still the hesitation persist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.