EOT guage turns off, then no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT guage turns off, then no start

Not EOT, actually EOP. Guess I should pay attention to those dummy gages a bit more even with a tuner. Truck still runs fine when driving, but now realizing what it means (hit me like a sack of bricks on how stupid I feel) I'm not sure I want to be driving it until I figure out if its just a sensor or in face my low pressure oil system is on the fritz. Any good testing procedures before I break open the haynes manual?

Last edited by dxusmc; 04-24-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: wrong information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The EOP sensor is essentially an on/off switch. If it is low, engine shuts down to protect itself. Simple enough to change it out and inspect the wiring. Either that or put on a gauge to see if you ahve a low pressure oil problem.

MikeB
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

have actually put a manual gauge to it yet, but my canister fills up cranking with no filter when I push down the tab...so my low pressure works. Read somewhere else on the org that if the IPR valve gets stuck open it will cause the high pressure system to read low and sometimes make the low side read low..that or it could be as simple as the sensor/wiring going bad like you said. Unfortunately Ive been having FICM issues so if I had a leak on the high side before this, I didn't know and just chalked it up with that crappy board I have sitting on my driver side valve cover
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM

I re-read your first post. Are you getting EOT and the low pressure oil system confused? If the dummy gauge drops to 0, that is pressure not oil temperature. Your tuner is shoing you oil temperature not pressure.

on your insight, watch the ICP pressure and see if it stays low when you would expect it to go up (i.e. giving it throttle). That would likely tell you if you have a sticky IPR.

Otherwise you will need autoenginuity or IDS to command the valve directly and see if the ICP changes with IPR commands. If it is intermittent, you may never get it to fail when you are testing it. May just want to get a new oil pressure switch to see if that is the intermittent issue. I think they are pretty cheap.

MikeB
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

yea, initially I said EOT when I meant EOP. I had it out yesterday since I knew it was getting oil...just not reading. I noticed when I was WOT dummy gauge worked fine and the engine sounded good. As soon as I back out of it and my ICP got to about 580s-590, the gauge went to 0 again. Even WOT I was only seeing 1400-1500..thought it would be more than that. I'm definitely trying to find a good scanner for it so I know whats going on.

Also just updated my insight yesterday to add that PID along with others and starting tracking exhaust back pressure. 0 reading at all times. Truck just keeps throwing me curve balls
Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Started tearing the beast apart today since I'm scared to drive it. Found oil lining my intake. Traced back to quite a bit of oil coming out of the compression housing on my turbo..and some coming from the CCV, but not nearly as much. I find it a bit strange that I was getting good boost...but is my turbo fried? or maybe just have to take it apart and fix something internally...Any ideas? What am I looking at here
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

The oil you see is like a bloody nose. It usually looks worse than it is. It normal to see oil at all the low spots in the CAC tubing and intake. As long as you are not seeing blue smoke or noticeable loss of oil, it is probably fine.

You probably need to just replace the oil pressure switch or check the wiring.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Even WOT I was only seeing 1400-1500..thought it would be more than that. I'm definitely trying to find a good scanner for it so I know whats going on.
If you have a tune on it, it is normal to see a fake ICP of 1500-1600psi when it is really in the mid 3000s. The only way to tell is to put on a stock tune or use the true ICP voltage.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM

I forgot to mention... Make sure you are using a OEM oil filter and cap.

MikeB
Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yea, I've been using motorcraft filters since I've owned the truck. Have been tearing it apart little by little everyday. Living in NY, I have some major corrosion and rust problems..every bolt is a chore. But its coming along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.