Need ford HD mechanics help with potential blown gasket diagnosis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need ford HD mechanics help with potential blown gasket diagnosis

So ever since i have bought my truck I have been debating wether or not my head gaskets have blow or not... Plot thickens

Pukes all the time, thought it was egr as it was soaked, so I deleted the cooler and valve.
Thought it could be the cap, changed it for a new one and it still pukes(heard that it could be a bottle problem as well and bottle and cap should be replaced together who knew!)
Only thing I have read about left that could cause it to puke is the oil cooler flash boiling coolant cause its clogged, however my deltas are pretty constant at 2-4degrees and saw a max of 10 degrees when towing a 5000 pound trailer but that was only a second or two until the oil cooler started doing its thing.

Can anything else cause the coolant to puke? Is there something I'm missing?

Anyways I decided last oil change to keep some oil and get an oil analysis done, and hey while I was at the oil place might as well drop off some coolant as well. I have now recieved the $80 for both samples analysis back and yea there's a lot of numbers, and I don't have a clue what I'm looking at.

Are there any 'nice' 'awesome' 'sweet' 'beauty' ford mechs out there I can send the reports too and give me your expert opinion if I need to change my gaskets or if they are fine and something else is causing my puking problems.

Please help !!!! it might stop snowing up here in Canada soon and I want to run my looney wild once it drys up.

A dedicated 6.0 driver that desperately needs help. Steve6L.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Blown head gaskets. The oil cooler will not flash boil the coolant.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Blown head gaskets. The oil cooler will not flash boil the coolant.
100% agree with tuscany here. Based on the parts replaced and the symptoms you are in for some head work.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Oh in case its not in my sig:
Studded with oem parts done properly
-which makes believing gaskets are gone far fetched.

Any HD mechs out there that can look at these oil analysis for me? As being very familiar with gaskets if there is a leak in either or both of them, materials off the gaskets will 100% be in either my coolant or oil or both. Hence the pricey tests. Which I have no idea how to read or make sense of.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM

most oil reports are simply looking at wear metals, contaminant metals, and oil quality (i.e. acid or base number, oxidation, etc...). I am not sure you are going to see definitive data to tell you that you have blown HGs.

Rig up a pressure gauge to the coolant system, that will tell you for sure. Also, you can buy a coolant tester that detects carbon monoxide in the coolant. Since you have a deleted EGR cooler, that will also confirm blown HGs.

MB
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 AM

Oh snap, I forgot to mention that, a buddy of mine had one of those coolant testers and confirmed it worked when he had previously used it to diagnose blown gaskets. He said color changed in the fluid in about 20 seconds. I left my truck running for 20 mins (kit recommends 2 I think) nothing, no change... Hahah nice dilemma eh all signs point to gaskets all tests say no

Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Ill buy a mech pressure gauge when I'm home I guess, t it into the degas bottle line. I have heard guys saying 11 psi is normal operating psi, however I thought the cap was 4 psi?!!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 AM

normal expansion of the coolant will get up to 8 or 10 psi typically. The cap is rated at 16psi. Once you have the gauge on and punch it, you will know.... the pressure will spike abruptly. Look for a youtube video of bad headgaskets/pressure gauge and you will see how fast it goes up.

MikeB
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 AM

Makes sense that an instant pressure increase would take place as soon as throttle is touched if gaskets or heads are leaking

Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Took a little video for you guys while I was at work.finally got a pressure gauge. let me know what you all think.

Ps don't mind my buddy he has adhd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVyU...e_gdata_player

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.