HPO diagnosis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPO diagnosis

Hi guys,

I have determined that i have a high pressure oil leak and i am trying to determine the location.

I have auto enginuity software and when i perform the air leak test i can definately hear a gurgling and a slight breeze coming from the oil filler neck.

I am fixing to remove the passenger side valve cover to find the leak but i just have one thing i cannot eliminate......I would like to verify that my IPR valve is working.

When i am supplying air to the system and i actuate the IPR valve through the AE software i dont hear any changes in air flow or anything.

I guess my question would be...If the IPR valve were stuck open for some reason would that allow air to escape through the filler neck? When i look at my IPR duty cycle when i actuate the IPR valve is shows 84%. Is this a true reading or is this something that the pcm is telling itself to start?

I have a 2005 f350, I had replaced the STC fitting, oil cooler, blue hose, bypassed egr etc. last year and she was running absolutely fine up until it just quit going down the road.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what is the truck doing ? when cold or warm ?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck was cruising along very nicely one day and just quit. Has not started since. It didnt show any signs of a problem before she shut down.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern64 View Post
The truck was cruising along very nicely one day and just quit. Has not started since. It didnt show any signs of a problem before she shut down.
That happened to my and it was the IPR, having some issues now maybe going bad again
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think this is right...if you command it closed you should then be able to build your over 500 psi to start. Is your icp building to over 500 while cranking?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzman View Post
I think this is right...if you command it closed you should then be able to build your over 500 psi to start. Is your icp building to over 500 while cranking?
Definately not building to 500 psi. she builds up to about 159 with the ipr duty cycle at 84%. I had not commanded the ipr closed while cranking but based on the duty cycle numbers i figured it was getting the order.

What i am having difficulty figuring out is whether or not that duty cycle is what is actually occuring or if that is the command being sent to the ipr and the ipr is not working. I dont have any codes relative to the icp and i cannot hear any effect on the air test when i command the ipr closed.....if that makes any sense!

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

those were my symptoms exactly, I pulled the ICP and it was obviously toast. the screen was all sucked in. Pretty good chance that is your problem.

did you recently do work on your oil system? Debris going through your HPOP is a common cause of problems with your ICP.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had rebuilt the oil cooler, bypassed the egr, stc fitting and what not about 4000 miles ago.

Im pretty confident that it is my IPR based on the fact that i cannot hear any change in airflow when i actuate it, and based on the way that it shut down immediately without warning. It didnt show any signs of hard starting warm or cold prior to this event.

here wee goooo!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Have fun, not too tough compared to the rest of the work you have done
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi guys,

I put in the new IPR valve and after an extended crank.....she fired up!

The problem now is that it has to crank for a long time to build up the pressure enough to start.......

On my old ipr valve the screen had been totalled and i could see bits of debri built up inside the valve which i figured was my screen. I am now thinking something else let go because it never took this long to start before....

Also i am not building any boost pressure from my turbo and i cant seem to keep the short length of blue hose on the passenger side below the battery to stay on the pipe, i tightened er up good this time but i believe my batteries died so here i am typing this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.