Rough idle at stop light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough idle at stop light

Last week I was coming home sitting at a stop light when I felt the truck shake a little. I turned the radio down, looked at the rpm's and they were going up and down like it was missing a little bit. I put it in neutral, gave it a little gas and it came right out of it. I messed with it for a while that night trying to get it to do it again and couldn't. So today after coming out from getting a hair cut I started the truck and it did the same thing very briefly and then went back to normal idle. It didn't seem to crank any longer than normal but I'm wondering if it could be a high pressure oil leak. I watched my scan gauge while cranking and the FICM voltage was 48.5. The battery voltage was a little low, but I'm going to load test them this weekend. I feel like I read something that you could watch on the scan gauge to see if there might be a high pressure oil leak. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 02:17 PM

I checked my IPR and ICP. When the engine is hot at an idle the IPR is 19.1 and ICP is 580. Batteries load tested good. Still idling rough every once in a while on a hot start. Hasn't done it at a stop light again though.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

I had the same problem last year on my '04. It got progressively worse until it would stall at stoplights. It ended up being a high pressure oil leak. The shop I took it to needed three tries to find it. Mine ended up being one of the braided lines under the valve cover. The HPOP was replaced the year before so I was fairly sure it wasn't the problem. I wasn't too impressed with the shop I took it to. Normally I would have had a go at it myself but I was too busy with work and really needed the truck ASAP.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Start with the easy things first before you jump to a HPO leak...

Might be some bad fuel... Where do you get your fuel from?

Same station or whatever is cheap?

Next, try some Diesel Kleen to clean out the system.

If you still have issues, replace your fuel filters.

If after all that, THEN start looking into other causes, possibly HPO leaks.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I planned on trying that stuff first. I thought it was just an idle problem to begin with, but today it cut out on my going down the highway on and off for about 10 minutes. I didn't seem to loose any power other than it cutting out and it came out of it after a little bit. I'm going to pick up filters tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberdelta View Post
Yeah, I planned on trying that stuff first. I thought it was just an idle problem to begin with, but today it cut out on my going down the highway on and off for about 10 minutes. I didn't seem to loose any power other than it cutting out and it came out of it after a little bit. I'm going to pick up filters tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
Please explain "cutting out."

Was it stalling/shutting off?

Then no-starting hot for about 10 minutes?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM

It wasn't stalling, just missing. I got a code for the number 2 injector, so I'm sure that's probably what my problem is. It just started being noticable at an idle. It hot starts fine too.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberdelta View Post
It wasn't stalling, just missing. I got a code for the number 2 injector, so I'm sure that's probably what my problem is. It just started being noticable at an idle. It hot starts fine too.
Ya, #2 is on it's way out.

You have two choices at this point:

1. Replace the #2 injector... it's fairly simple to replace since #2 is on the driver's side. Ask me how I know...

2. Try to see if it can be fixed with a treatment of Rev-X... this stuff has been known to work wonders!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM

I'm doing a service and trying rev x tomorrow. It ran fine today so it couldn't hurt to try. If it acts up againil ill put an injector in it.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM

So the service didn't seem to help. It started cutting out again and now I have a code for cylinder #8. I talked to a ford mechanic last night that told me If I'm getting both codes he would go ahead and just replace the 4 on that side while I have it apart. Seems kind of pointless to me if the other two are good, but I'm not really sure if they are or not so I may just tear it down and pick up 3 more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.