Sudden problems: slightly rough idle, no power, low boost, codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sudden problems: slightly rough idle, no power, low boost, codes

Starts up instantly, wants to run and drive, but has no balls.

Truck ran great this morning. On the way to lunch, pulled out of the parking lot fine, but went down on power on the road. U-turned around and pulled the following codes from the Edge CTS:

P0266, cyl 2 contribution
P0272, cyl 4 contribution
P0401, insufficient egr flow
P0603, ICM KAM error
P0683, Glow Plug Control Module Fault
P132B, Turbocharger Boost Control A Performance

The CEL is not illuminated.
I've never had a code before today.

Rough idle (slightly rough), low power, only 7 psi boost

I don't see anywhere the exhaust is leaking.
Turbo "cycles" at idle. I can hear it while I watch VGT% cycle on the Edge CTS.
Boost pipes pass a visual inspection and a tug test. Not scientific, but the appear fine.

OE Turbo and 8 injectors are almost new. Failed due to lack of use, previous owner drove truck only a couple thousand miles over 2 years.

Rotella T6 oil and Ford oil filter less than a month ago. Oil is full. Added 16oz Archoil 9100 with oil change.

According to CTS, FICM voltage 47V+
ICP ~650 idle. I saw over 3500+ psi this morning when I romped on it a bit.

EGR valve removed, inspected, cleaned 2 weeks ago.

Fuel pump is audible key on, engine off. Doesn't sound super loud to me, but I can hear it. I work on race cars with big Aeromotive pumps, it's not that loud. Need to put a pressure gauge on it still. Both fuel filters replaced last month when I did the oil.

Batteries disconnected last weekend--replaced one of the batteries, though the old battery was still good.

My other F250 is also currently down, had to order an alternator. I'm in trouble. Please help!

Last edited by berusch; 04-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looking at Edge CTS today, key on engine off:
MAP 13 psi
Baro 14.2 psi
IAT: 57
All other fluid temps 77

I understand there are (2) IAT sensors, not sure which the CTS is reporting, but it seems wrong.

Also map and baro do not match.

Everything else looks good:
FICM 47.5V
Battery 12.XV
Pedal position reports 0-100%
MAF appears to be working
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Talking to myself I guess, but maybe when/if I get it sorted and post results I can help someone else one day.

Started truck yesterday after it was sitting for a couple days. The MAP reading went to 14psi when I applied a little throttle. I would still expect to see 14 psi key on engine off.

I cleared the codes, and took it around the block. Truck wanted to make lots of boost and drove great. I pulled out of the throttle at 17 psi, no problem.

Truck sat for an hour, went to drive it home, back down to 7 psi again. Parked it.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your contribution codes could be a FICM issue. Did you check the FICM voltage when it is stone cold at KOEO, cranking and idle? Must be 46+ at all three points.

Your boost issue could be a sticky turbo, sticky EGR valve or other sensor (MAP, EBP, etc...) Did you check the condition of the sensors connectors, pull the sensors and make sure the tubes are clear, etc...?

MikeB
Old 04-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The EDGE CTS reports FICM voltage 47-48V at all times. I have not verified with a multimeter.

Have not done any further diagnosis.

I do not believe it has a stuck turbo -- it's only a few months old and I can hear it cycle at idle. The exhaust note changes dramatically when I see VGT% change on the monitor.

I will look for the MAP sensor, I think I saw one by the pass fender, next to a vac pump.
I pulled the EGR valve 2 weeks ago to clean it. Hit it with a little carb cleaner and wiped it down. It looks like a stepper valve -- If so, I actually have the ability to test a stepper on a bench.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by berusch; 04-20-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

gotta be careful with the carb cleaner, don't get any inside the valve. Also be careful to remove the O-rings before carb cleaner otherwise they swell, get screwed up, etc... You sound pretty dialed in, so I assume you took them off first, but just in case...

MikeB
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was careful when cleaning the EGR valve.

I suppose I should be able to measure resistance across the "dead" injectors' coils, and if it doesn't appear to be shorted, then scope the high current signal from FICM to see if I have lack of injector command.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Replaced FICM. Low power, low boost, #4 contribution code.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cleared codes.
Came back with P0276, cyl 6 injector low. No other contribution codes.

Ready to shoot it. Going to try FICM to injector harness.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got new injector harness from the dealer. When removing the old harness I found that the old harness was missing half its injector retention clips, including on cyl 6 where I was getting the injector low code.

Truck just had 8 injectors installed a few months ago at a diesel shop. The injector plug on 6 had a bent pin. I think they couldn't get it to positively retain, so they just jammed the sucker home and threw the clip out.

I considered cutting the injector's pigtail and weatherpacking it to the main injector harness. I have no qualms with cutting the old harness, but I didn't want to cut up the new one. So I'll get a new injector on order.

The shop had also installed a new turbo, and with the degas bottle removed to access the FICM for harness isntallation, my exhaust leak was obviously located at the up pipe to turbo v-band clamp.

Since there was easy access with the charge tubes out, I went ahead and rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator with the blue spring. The spring that came out was a bronze color, so I assume it was the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.