Problem after fuel filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem after fuel filter change

I changed the oil and also the fuel filters on my 03 6.0 for the first time since I bought the truck. After doing this, the next morning I got in the truck and it was way down on power when I pulled out of the driveway. Once it got warmed up it seemed alot better. I got back to the house and put the programmer on it just to see how it reacted (been driving around on the stock tune for a while). After the flash it ran like a raped ape. The next morning when I cranked it it surged for a second like it always has with the tune, but when I put it in gear to back up, the truck started bucking and smoking real bad. Put it back in park and it was fine.....back in gear, bucking again. So, at this point I put the stock tune back in and it was back like it was the previous morning with no power. This is the first diesel truck I have owned and I'm not real knowedgable about repairing them. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. The truck has 113k on it by the way.
Thanks,
JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure what it is doing but it sounds like you may have some air in the system. Did you change the orings? air may be getting back in the system when the truck is shut down over night. Also, did you cycle the key two or three times right after you finished the filter change? This purges the system of air. after your truck sets tonight you may want to cycle the key 2 or 3 times before you start before you start it in the morning ( key on 15 or 20 seconds, key off, key back on for 15 to 20 ect.) if it starts and runs fine try it the next day without cycling the key. if is has problems the second day I would guess the system is loosing its prime and you have a leak in the system somewhere. Just my guess.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cycled the pump a couple of times before I cranked it and drove it about 80 miles the day it started messing up. New O-rings. I thought it was getting air in at the frame mounted filter b/c the cap wouldn't go on all the way (it wasn't on all the way before I pulled it off either). I bought a new cap today and changed it and this one is all the way on for sure and it's still doing the same thing.

What would make the truck surge while in gear with the tune and not on the stock tune?

JT
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM

my guess would be the tune. call the guys that wrote your tune. they may know something. sorry, i haven't done that much on the 6.0s
Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM

perhaps you did not save the right stock file...and loaded the old stock file back on the computer as opposed to the "new" stock file.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've loaded the tune back and forth several times over the past 6 months and never had a problem before. It has been on the stock tune for the past several months and I didn't change it until after it started acting up. I haven't messed with any other programmers so I'm not sure how they work but I am using the old original Xcalibrator (tunes from JMS).....not really any way to mess up loading the tunes.
JT

Last edited by J Taylor; 02-11-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 AM

there is a way, but not sure if it applies to your model tuner..

did you return it to stock before it was reflashed at the dealer?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I can't explain what made it start acting up but a reflash at the dealer seemed to fix it, thankfully.
JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.