Repairing 6.0 w/ 220k mi and no coolant. EGR Delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Repairing 6.0 w/ 220k mi and no coolant. EGR Delete?

A friend of a friend brought me his 2003 f-350 with the 6.0 in it. He says that a previous mechanic said his EGR cooler has a small leak. This was a few years ago. He has been running water only in the cooling system for a VERY long time. It pretty much looks like Tang in the degas bottle. I feel hes going to have a bad day once we get into this thing.

He says hes loosing about 1/2 a gallon a day, no leaks on the ground, and no signs of water in the oil. He wants to delete the EGR cooler. I feel that a serious flush with Restore and Restore+ is in order as well as a new oil cooler and thermostat. All in addition of the EGR cooler delete. I have never worked on a 6.0. But I have done an EGR/DPFE delete on a 6.4. So I have faith I could knock this out.

What else should I look for since the cooling system has been neglected? What commonly fails besides the oil and EGR coolers? I plan to check the EOT and ECT readings to see if something is way off. Also, do I need to purchase a tuner in order to complete the EGR delete? I have read that you need one, as well as you can leave the removed EGR valve connected and get away with it. Confirmation?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also. I see just cooler deletes as well as EGR valve and EGR cooler deletes. I would recommend deleting both, but cost is a big issue. What do you guys/gals recommend?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

EGR Delete with Valve blockoff plate from Xtreme Diesel Performance will run $200.

DEFINATELY do a flush. i wouldnt dare dive in for this and not flush it first. if hes been doing nothing but water (smack him real hard in the back of the head ), theres a good chance his Oil Cooler is FUBAR. if you're gonna be in there for the EGR delete, may as well do the oil cooler too. a stock oil cooler with all gaskets from Xtreme Diesel will run $315. since its an 03, you dont have to worry about a check engine light from the EGR valve being removed.

hope ive been of some help.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Big THANKS for the reply. I believe I made the right decision. After watching some videos on how much work it is to get to the oil cooler, I decided that it must be changed wile were in there. I ended up with the sinister diesel kit which includes the oil cooler, seals and gaskets as well as the replacement stainless mesh screen. I'm also glad to hear that keeping the EGR valve in will keep the SES light from coming on. Soon as I popped the hood and saw the degas tank, I knew I was in for a job.

I skipped out on the purchase of Restore. I figured that there is no more coolant in this thing and a hefty dosing of Restore Plus is in order.

Planning on knocking it out this weekend. I'll keep the forum updated on how it goes.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
maybe toss an ipr coolant filter on it too cause it filters way faster than your average coolant filter. so you can race to get it clean.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Being an 03, you can just remove the EGR valve and put a block off plate. If it was 05 or newer you would have to have a programmer to shut the EGR off and keep the check engine light off.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 AM

if its eating coolant or water in his case wouldn't the head gaskets be bad too?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Not necessarily. If the EGR cooler is leaking, it could just be burning it off. Head gaskets would be the next thing to check once everything is up to par.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd run it for a while with a coolant filter after the flush. Otherwise, you are likely to clog up your new oil cooler with the stuff you broke loose...

Ask me how I know
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i'd do as recommended.. considering there isn't any sign of water in the oil or anything thats good.. i'm hoping the HGs aren't bad but if they are get the heads pressure tested and decked by a reliable company or get new heads.. this could get pricey! does he have a monitor on the truck? if not he should get one just so he's ok in the future.. update the coolant cap.. and try getting a 15PSI pressure gauge and plumb it into the cooling system and see if the pressure goes up past 15 quickly after you get the egr cooler delete in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.