FICM or Injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM or Injectors?

OK not sure where my issue stands but Im helping the guy who bought my old truck,(yeah I sold it and it never went away) its an 05 6.0 208k I bought it with 72K on it in 2007 and I know the injectors have not been touched.. about a month ago truck was having very rough start issues especially when cold (more so than usual) even when plugged in. I put my Solus Scan tool on it and the FICM Voltage would drop as low as 44V but usually hung around the 46.5- 47V range. So I had a another FICM off a project truck of mine and he was in a hurry so I sold him mine and was going to send his in to get rebuilt for my truck.. FICM was off an 03 6.0. After installation the truck ran much better and cold starts where better. Now a month later the issue is back. I hooked up the tool again and now again the FICM voltage dropped to about 46v and would idle at around 47.5. driving it was a steady 48v.

First off he took the truck to a good local diesel shop and they informed him that he had 6 bad injectors....hmm... well sure that would definatly cause the problem but that Ficm voltage has me a little worried. I did a buzz test KOEO and came back no codes..

so My question is, is 46-47.5 V too low and a definate indicator of the chugging rough idle issue or does it really have (assuming) 6 bad injectors??

also what could be causing the FICMs to go bad? I have read poor batteries can damage FICMs and bad FICMs can damage injectors??

Awhile ago I did have the guy take his Napa gold batteries in and have them tested for a slow crank and they did find that one was bad(this was prior to first FICM install). I told him they should have warrantied them both but they would only give him one. so he had one new one with year old one. I was pretty sure that was a big NO NO and am wondering if thats not the core of all these problems?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FICM voltages are a little off but should be fine. Highly doubt injectors are junk. Does it run fine as it warms up? If so, I'd say you've got injector stiction issues. I'd start by changing the oil to a 5w40 synthetic and add 8 oz of Rev-X additive.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeah truck ran VERY rough tonight 40* start, but once it warmed up, which actually it never did get the needle above the lower line in the gauage, but it was blowing warm air and at that point it ran well but did have a hicup from time to time..

I always ran 5w40 in it and i also put 5w40 in it even after i sold it. ( i was serious when i said it never went away) and changed it every 5k miles, I do know recently the new owner had one of his workers change it and im not sure what he might have put in it..

jogging my memory, The truck did just lose the fuel pump on the frame rail about 3 weeks ago, he had me put a new one on and i was informed that an entire bottle of PS 911 was dumped in it (for some reason they thought it gelled in 30* weather) and i believe they cranked on it till the batts went dead also, i bet the injectors loved that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.