Please help white smoke at full throttle! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help white smoke at full throttle!

ok let me give the entire story on what happen and what i have done i was driving to bristol tn from cincinnati and about four hours into the trip i started to pour white smoke it was tons of raw fuel i had the truck towed back to my shop and took the cab off, to take the motor apart to find the problem and found one of my injector o rings had melted, so i went ahead and replaced the injector on that cylinder, and all other injector o rings and did head gaskets and arp head studs, the hpop and ipc had been replaced two months before all this, and also had the oil cooler and the screen for hpop, i now have the truck all together and it runs great except for the white smoke when i get on the throttle, when i get out of the throttle it does not smoke but once i get to idle it has a small amount of white smoke it smells like fuel, and i have no codes, no fluids mixing, i have checked all my ficm readings all are what they should be, i have good fuel pressure, i have done a buzz test on all the injectors which they all passed, im assuming i have a leaking injector, but not sure how to figure out which one, any ideas or suggestions would be awesome, i have got alot of hours in this truck and am ready to set it on fire,

Last edited by craigisgod; 04-14-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

May be a loose injector I would take it back to the mechanic. If the holes for the bolts have any oil left in them they torque out at 26 lbs but don't bottom out instead leaving the injector loose and it leaks at the copper washer. It will burn it out in time and then cause the lower o-ring to fail.
It may be a bad injector too, either way bring it back to whoever did the work.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the reply but the problem is i did all the work my self i am a master tech and know gassers all day long not much expierance with diesels and im just running outta ideas, i torqued all the injectors at 27 ft lbs
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Did you blow out the holes before you put in the bolts ??

You may be able to pull each injector plug one at a time until you see the smoke stop to track it down. Shut off the fuel and it should stop smoking as long as it's not a o-ring causing it.
Sounds like the valve covers are going to need to come off one more time. You can wiggle the injectors or pry up on them to see if you can find a loose one.
You may also try using a IR thermal gauge on the exhaust to see if you can locate a cooler cylinder at idle or at different rpms.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Premium Member

I guess my shop really means my shop...

In your previous problem the copper washer was compromised, but white smoke from excess fuel should not have been the first clue since the compression gasses would been going into the fuel system long before any excess fuel made it to the cylinder.

To get unburned fuel through the engine a lot of things have to go wrong, especially at high RPM. Are you sure it is not just residual fuel in the exhaust system being burned out, like a smoker at an airshow? If the fuel is not burning in the cylinder then my only thoughts are real low compression, fuel logic issues (FICM) or a nozzle not closing. The latter would normally cause black smoke, except for again, a massive leak, but that is not what you are reporting. Are you sure you don't have a slight coolant leak, perhaps from an injector cup?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have no fuel in my coolant from what research i have done if my injector cups where shot i would be getting fuel mixing with the coolant, and even if i didnt properly torque the injectors down (which i did) wouldnt the o ring have to break for the fuel to get into the cylinder and cause the smoking, and when i start the truck after sitting all night or for several hours i does not smoke at all and it wont smoke till i go for a drive and get on it a little bit, then once i do that it will lightly smoke at idle, thanks for the ideas so far im gonna try the thermal reading idea tomorrow
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

I was just thinking out loud about how white smoke could happen. I agree the cup is a long shot due to the pressure differential and you would expect this to happen on start-up. The same would apply for the fuel o-rings, the pressure goes from cylinder to fuel rail, not the other way. This really only leaves the nozzle from one of the cylinders, but under the conditions you report it should be black, not white.

So, the only way you get white smoke is via coolant into the intake, fuel in a dead cylinder or after the exhaust valve, oil from the turbo, or piston blow-by after the cylinder. So if it is fuel, where is the source?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have not had any coolant loss, and if i take the oil fill lid off and rev it up i have very minimal blow by, so i would assume my compression is ok, i have disconnected each injector on the passenger side one at a time and it did not get rid of the smoke, the driver side is a little more tricky to get too, ill be working on giving that a try tomorrow, and the smoke that comes out the tailpipe smells like fuel, bad enough to burn your eyes, so i have pretty much ruled out coolant issues plus this truck has had a egr delete, i appreciate all the input so far hopefully soon ill be able to drive this thing again
Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Last ideas... How about a nozzle that is cracked or dirty enough to spray directly toward the exhaust valve at certain ICP. That would give fuel smoke as you are describing. So would an exhaust valve that is not sealing correctly on the compression stroke. Both should show up with a contribution and balance test under load.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i dont think my scanner has that function i have a snap on solus, i can do a buzz test and glow plug test but nothing beyond that, im guessing only a ford scanner can do that test, and any idea what it will run me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.