Loosing a little Coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Loosing a little Coolant

I found another problem with my truck. Tonight wile making adjustments to my new FBD exhaust system i noticed antifreeze on the Right side of the block around the starter. I traced it up some but couldnt tell where it was coming from. So i checked the EGR Cooler hose and the intake and the hose looked dry. I didnt touch it to see if it was wet though. From what i have read it sounds like that hose but it didnt look swolen or wet, it is orange by the way. I did block off my EGR cooler last night and today is the first time for me to notice the coolant leaking. When i had the Up-Pipe off i did stick my finger in the EGR cooler and it came back with oily stuff. Nothing that looked or smelled like antifreeze. Any one have any suggestions to what this may be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've not heard of the orange hose going bad, but check your connections, they may need tightening. It likely could be your EGR cooler is bad, but you'll usually get white smoke when it goes...
Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking it could be the EGR cooler since i had it opened up at the exhaust when i was capping it off. I havnt gotten any white smoke, i guess ill just keep my eye on it and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Same leak

My 03 is leaking coolant from the exact same area.....seems to leak overnight, but not while running (hot)....leaves a puddle about 6 inches square overnight....

The Dealer has looked for the leak twice, and couldn't find it....so, it's a leak I'm having to live with.....
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck was at the dealer for 4 days before they were able to replicate the leak. It turned out to be the hose/fitting and was covered under warranty minus $100 Ded. It only leaked COLD PRESSURIZED OVERNIGHT. They tried and tried to tell me there was no leak and I insisted there was because the resevior went dry twice in a two week period. I hope this helps, it drove me crazy when they couldn't replicate it. The pumped up the system and left it overnight, in the morning the walked in to find a puddle on the floor finally! At least they didn't give up!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info!.....that sounds EXACTLY like the leak I have!.....

I'm going to print out this thread, and take it in (along with my leaky PSD) and have them look at it again!.....

Especially since my 5 years ends this April......(but only 65k miles)
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTpsd View Post
My truck was at the dealer for 4 days before they were able to replicate the leak. It turned out to be the hose/fitting and was covered under warranty minus $100 Ded. It only leaked COLD PRESSURIZED OVERNIGHT. They tried and tried to tell me there was no leak and I insisted there was because the resevior went dry twice in a two week period. I hope this helps, it drove me crazy when they couldn't replicate it. The pumped up the system and left it overnight, in the morning the walked in to find a puddle on the floor finally! At least they didn't give up!
What hose fitting was it that was leaking?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

I checked my EGR hose over and its dry and so is the intake under it. I think its going to be my EGR cooler thats bad and leaking. I know i did a crappy job capping it off so its probably leaking. I just need to get a mirror and flash light to see if i can see the leak. If so i plan to totally remove the EGR cooler and re-route the coolant.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The EGR cooler hose.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the same prob with my 04.. It would never develop a puddle or drip it would just be wet in the same place It was also puking coolant out the reservoir.. and when i turn it off and get out sometimes i can here the coolant boiling in the reservoir. I took it in in nov they took 2 weeks to replace the EGR cooler. I noticed it was still wet and still puking coolant... I have been keeping the reservoir a inch below the min line since i don't have the update sticker.. I have been running hypertech stage 2 tuning and i have no other mods till 3 days ago when i put on a 4 in turbo back kit..

The shop called and asked me how my truck was doing i told them it was just like it was before they got it.. he told me to bring it in and have them look at it and i asked them if they where going to keep it for another 2 weeks and he just started making up excuses.. and i have not had the time to be with out my truck since then eather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.