Possibly having a cooling issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibly having a cooling issue?

It seems my truck is starting to develop some sort of cooling issue and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on it...

-First time I noticed the problem I was cruising at around 55 and noticed the coolant gauge on the dash go to the red very quickly and the "check gauge" light was on. Pulled off the road to pop the hood, coolant wasn't bubbling or hissing in the reservoir and no sign of coolant on the block or any of the lines. Closed the hood and drove home, same thing happened again and when I made it home I popped the hood to again find nothing out of the ordinary. Opened the reservoir and let it cool then cranked truck and drove for 75 miles, nothing out of the ordinary.

-Second time was a week later after seeing no issues, hooked to our dump trailer and towed it maybe 20 miles, gross weight truck/trailer was 7 tons. Upon getting to my destination I noticed the fan running which usually doesn't happen until well into the summer but the coolant temp was at "normal" on the gauge

-Third time was a day later... I got onto the interstate to head to school and got it up to around 70mph and noticed the coolant gauge was about halfway between where it normally sits and red, fan was also on. Slowed down to 50mph, fan kicked off and coolant gauge dropped to normal. Truck proceed to do this for my 25 mile trip to/from school but every time I dropped my speed back below about 60 the fan would kick off and the truck would read normal again...

Truck is a bone stock 03 6.0, any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Without gauges that are accurate it is hard to tell if you have a temp problem or a sender problem. A good place to start is the thermostat and only use a oem it will fail in the open position.
You may have a sticking thermostat ? ?
A good investment for $160.00 is a scangauge and it will read every sensor on that engine. Best money I ever spent on my truck for sure. You can watch exact temps along with the oil cooler temps ficm blah blah everything.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea the plan is to get one of those Edge Insight monitors I just haven't gotten around to spending the money on it yet...Have been checking every day for puked coolant or any leaks and can't find any. The coolant in there is green and has probably been in the truck well over 100k miles Been spending most of my "extra" truck money bringing other areas up to my standards.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Well you better spend some of that money on some coolant. The green stuff is not what you want in that engine.
Ford Gold
ELC-1

Those are what you want in there. If that were my truck I would get that out of there now and a good flush would be in order. Just don't use any acids too likely to plug up your oil cooler. I used liquid Cascade when I switched to the Cat EC1 coolant. I filled and drained/flushed 4 times to be sure the Ford Gold was all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.