Warranty Question - My Story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty Question - My Story

03 6.0, not modified at all. No issues with the truck at all with over 84k miles. One day it just wont start. No issues prior to problem, no leaks that I can see anywhere, power is normal etc. It just wont start. The dealer claims that while not the problem they notice air filter is clogged (changed April of 07) and the fuel filter is so bad that it has partially collapsed. They ask for service records and get them. Lots of oil changes and air filter replacements but serious lack of fuel filter changes only three since owned and in fact none since 32k miles. Based upon this, they deny warranty work on engine. I ask them what the problem is with the engine. They have not done enought work to determine that they say but based upon lack of mtnce records, they say no warranty coverage regardless. They then proceed to determine that the EGR cooler and valve need replacing along with the removal and cleaning of carbon from the intake manifold. The cost of this is estimated to be $2,400 BUT, once they get it going then they will determine if injectors are needed which will increase the cost. The guy also states that the motor was partially hydro-locked. I find this hard to believe since it cranked over OK.

Regardless here is my question....how can they deny warranty coverage prior to determining what is wrong? I admit I lacked on the mtnce but did the clogged fuel filter cause the problem? How could it have run so well and without a check engine light then die with such major work necessary?

The only symptom we noticed prior to non-start was the smell of hot oil after we parked it and walked around the front grill. I looked everywhere but could find nothing leaking.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Junior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

it is possiblw to hydrolock engine even after you turned it over , coolant ca run into the cylinders if egr is bad enough , need to find out warranty start date , if its in on time and mileage i would have to get a little irrate with them, it does sound like thay may be trying to pull one on ya
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
they just dont want to warranty it. they want customer pay since it is more pay.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
If you have to talk to a lawyer.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
yeah you paid for a warranty, they should honor what ever is in the contract.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't believe they have even tried approaching Ford about doing the work under warranty. Can someone tell me if poor fuel filter mtnce can lead to the EGR cooler problem?

Thanks to all who have taken the time.

Jr
Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 AM

in the owner's manual for my excursion, it states several times/places that failure to do the routine/preventative maintenace(like 7,500/15,000, etc) stuff 'could' cause the warrenty to be null/voided.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

call your local ford rep, the dealer is screwing you. i have never had to show any records.

i just had my engine replaced with 98 miles left int he warranty.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update to close thread for those in my situation.....you are correct, after a close examination of my warranty it does state in several places that failure to perform required Mtnce that causes part failure will void warranty. The key word however is "Caused". After the repairs were completed on my truck ($3,100 bill) I had several long meetings with the service manager and shop foreman. They were unable to provide ANY evidence that my failure to change the fuel filter in accordance with the mtnce schedule CAUSED the EGR Cooler & Sensor failure. In fact I learned that the decision that it would not be covered under warranty was made "in-house" without presenting the situation to Ford at all, even though previous statements by my service advisor clearly indicated that it was Ford who would not warranty the repair. I learned of this by requesting the written response from Ford stating that they would not warranty the repairs. To make a long story short, I convinced the service manager to request Ford warranty coverage for the repairs. I also stated that I wanted Ford's response in writing....to include the causal relationship between lack of fuel filter mtnce and the failure of the EGR sensor and cooler. Within hours, I received a call from the service manager stating that Ford would in fact pay for the repairs under warranty.

The fiasco was unbelievable. My truck was in the shop for a month, and it took two, one hour long meetings with the shop foreman and the service manager to even get them to approach Ford for the warranty coverage.

Unfortunately, my town has only one Ford dealer.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Stick it to the Man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.