Truck nightmare or am i just to being dumb? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck nightmare or am i just to being dumb?

so usual ran ect 187 and eot 194. while driving down freeway then one day starting puking coolant. took it to a guy Sinister said installs all their parts. and had 21.5 psi in coolant system.... so he said $3110.00 for studs, egr delete, oil cooler, and blank plugs, up pipes and leaking glow pug harness. and thermostat (I did flush and supplied cat elc-1 by zerex and distilled water)

I drained all ford gold coolant and put 2 qrts of vc-9 and filled with garden water. let it run for around 45minutes up and down freeway pushing really hard (ecot and eot both went above 200 multiple times) . let it sit for little bit and opened drain valve on bottom drivers side and heater core line on pass side. and stuck a garden hose in degas fill opening and let it overflow while i did a couple of WOT and let the water pump push stuff out. then ran 2 flushes with flat out distilled water before I drove it up to him.

on the drive back my ect was 192 and eot 201-202 65mph at 90degree F outside called him and he said that's fine you dont need to worry til oil is like 250 something and stuff. I was just upset because now temps are worse and backwards.... went from a 7 degree split to a 10-12 split with EOT higher then ect. I want to trust the guy because sinister flatout said call this guy we dont install our stuff this guy does etc.. he sent me pics of the truck with the cab off and really knew his stuff.

Is this a possible clogged oil cooler, or bad sensor? I just drained my saving account for this truck and honestly Im feeling like burning it to the ground. or is it because of egr delete and different coolant?

sorry just confused and everyone here has been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like oil cooler did they use a stock or the original?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

on the reciept new oil cooler. Im just so ticked becuase when I drained the ford gold crap it was super clean and the first coolant filter change before heads blew was super clean too. and when the vc-9 water came out clean as a whistle and now this crap!!!!! should I just call the guy and ask about it again? i already asked yesterday and i feel bad for bugging him but im furious too how an oil cooler could clog again in less then 90 miles!!!

ugh sorry
Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

21 psi coolant pressure is either a bad EGR Cooler or Headgaskets, coolant pressure on a healthy system should only be around 8 to 10 psi. Flushing the coolant system is well known for clogging oil coolers. EOT will always be higher than ECT, but should not be more than 15 degrees higher. More than 15 degrees has the tell tale signs of a clogged/clogging oil cooler. Your looking a almost 1400.00 just in parts you listed. I added in the cost of the OEM head gaskets. So he's only charging around 1700 in labor, thats not too bad in my book.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

I had a bulletproof egr cooler installed like 6 months ago and she just randomly started puking coolant. but i only had 7ish degree split before the flush with vc-9 and distilled water. and then he installed brandnew oil cooler and egr delete and now my temps are crazy!! 11 difference with EOT being higher then ECT?

im not a ford tech so I wanna learn as much as possible before I call him im super ticked right now....
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYRMN View Post
21 psi coolant pressure is either a bad EGR Cooler or Headgaskets, coolant pressure on a healthy system should only be around 8 to 10 psi. Flushing the coolant system is well known for clogging oil coolers. EOT will always be higher than ECT, but should not be more than 15 degrees higher. More than 15 degrees has the tell tale signs of a clogged/clogging oil cooler. Your looking a almost 1400.00 just in parts you listed. I added in the cost of the OEM head gaskets. So he's only charging around 1700 in labor, thats not too bad in my book.

Sinister and the guy gave me a deal being Military and I just happened to have barely enough cash so I didn't have to use credit card and I drove my 84 4runner crawler project while waiting for truck. so should i

1. call and ask for more info? politely...
2. call and ask if he can do the oil cooler again or

3. burn the truck to the ground and claim insurance I really like the truck but im 24 and have sunk a ton of money because of my ignorance lol...
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

If you BP'd the EGR Cooler, the failure rate on those is extremely small. I would have to lean towards headgaskets. 11 Degrees higher EOT isn't crazy high, but it should be watched frequently. With leaking headgaskets you now how combustion gasses in the coolant system, which can cause things to start failing sooner, the domino effect. With stock head bolts and original gaskets, I'm afraid it was just a matter of time.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

ahh crappolaa im sorry he even installed OEM headgaskets i forgot.... so even though my EOT is 10-11 higher then my ECT you think im good im just so confused but im still ignarant to the 6.0 working...

1. ect are supposed to be higher...
2. my split was smaller and ect was higher...
3. yes i got a good deal and It was a Blessing (dont believe in luck)

im stumped thx for reading everyone I just dontt wanna bother the mechanic becuase sinister likes him and he helped but why is the oil temp higher then ect now?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This sounds like what happened with my truck. I was having oil cooler problems after a flush, so I ended up having an BPD egr cooler installed along with a factory oil cooler. I was still seeing oil temps in the 230 range. Turns out my brand new oil cooler from ford was blocked! BPD got ford to warranty it, since I bought it from them. Even after having the second new oil cooler put in, my temps weren't quite where they should have been. I ended up replacing the radiator, it was pretty well plugged up from the flush. You may want to look there first. Get yourself a non-contact thermometer, after the truck is up to temp, check the temperature at the top of the radiator and then at the bottom, there should be a 20-30 degree difference. Mine was only about 5 degrees apart when it was clogged.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

1. Incorrect, Oil Temps will be higher when truck is up to normal operating temps, mine EOT's will be below Coolant temps until she's fully warmed up, then the Oil Temps will climb past the Coolant temps by 8 to 10 degrees on mine.

2. It's very possible that the flush caused loose particles in the coolant system to collect in the cooler. It happens all the time when flushing the coolant systems on 6.0L's.

3. My 6.0l guy gave me a good deal because of being in the military too.

OEM headgaskets and ARP Studs are the best combo for our trucks, history has dictated this many times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.