Oil Leak Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak Question

I noticed my truck was leaking the other day so, I cleaned off the bell housing and oil pan and checked it again. There is oil running down the back of the motor on the driver side. It runs down from where the heads attach to the block(it appears that this is not the point of the leak...it seems to be coming from the top of the motor), down by the driver exhaust manifold, and there are oil spots on the rubber boot for the front drive shaft that runs to the transfer case and there is some that hugs the bell housing. There is never a puddle under my truck and oil level is fine. But, I am not sure how long this has been going on. It has not leaked until recently. I changed the oil about 2 months ago and there was no leaks at that time. The truck is a 2006 with about 90k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 AM

The turbo oil drain tube just has oring seals you may have a failing oring and its weeping Into the valley on top the block and running down. Maybe a sensor gasket? Or even your oil filter housing orings may have gotten shifted around during the last oil change. Sorry I'm not much help, hope you figure it out!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a similar leak on my 06 can't figure it out. It comes from the valley and works it way down the passenger side down by the starter then oil pan and bell housing. Thought it was turbo boots but changed them and they r still there.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Im having the same problem with my 03! Oil was leaking from both sides, I changed both glow plug harnesses and glow plugs while i was at it. With it having 194000 miles it was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from but i was sure it was the glow plug harness. After I changed them the driver side is allot better. However the passengers side is still pretty bad! I can tell that its not the harnesses that are leaking. I think it might be that B$%# valve cover bolt closest to the firewall. I saw some oil on the drain tube of the turbo but it doesn't look like its leaking enough to be the culprit. I recently replaced my ICP sensor so I dont think its that, my only other guess is something to do with the HPOP????
Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That leak is a real SOB!!! Needless to say I have the same one, it shows up on the passenger side. This weekend I had my turbo out and my valve covers and fuel rails out. I had the best look at possible culprit's I think you can get and still couldn't find the source!!!

I get a drip on the driveway after driving maybe 50 miles. I put in a CCV reroute to keep oil out of the intake and away from the CAC boots and that didn't help. New o-rings on the turbo drain tube didn't help. Maybe the work I did will mysteriously solve the problem.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM

There are allot of people that have posted for help about this exact link but no answers.... irritating. I tried to tighten the valve cover bolt that i thought might be the cause of the leak only to find out it was as tight as it was going to be.... im about to buy some UV die to track it down. praying its not a main seal
Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump to see if anyone has figured it out yet... I have the same passenger side leak.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 AM

I have the same issue. Leaking from the top and wet all down the back of the block on passenger side. Not dripping to much though just seeping oil from somewhere. Can't see where its coming from.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Ive gone to tighten the backs of the valve covers but they weren't loose at all.... oil pan gasket maybe? but then how is it getting on the starter???????
Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exact problem on my '06. Cannot determine source. Don't really see any solutions posted here either..???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.