Coolant level Question/ ECT & EOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant level Question/ ECT & EOT

First question: coolant level was low while running hot- i could shake it and see a little bit of coolant in degas, when I shut it down i quickly walked over to the engine and saw it had immediately rose to the minimum line- is this good/bad that it rose so quickly after shutting down?

Second: my IAT is at 160* +/- when i pulled off the highway and idleing. While driving it was 110* +/- are these temps too high?
Its 80* outside: My ECT and EOT are at 215* with a 6* maximum delta. and EGT are at 1200* while driving around 50mph, i did not let them get any higher... Heres the thing, the ect and eot do not go down below 200* when i let it sit with the hood open and an electric fan on the engine for ten minutes. Alsooo, when it was 30* outside last month, my ect and eot never went above 180 and it usually was around 175... Is this bad coolant or bad thermostat?
Also, there is a coolant temp sensor on the oil cooler housing and i guess another one on the thermostat?

I gotta hual 10 cubic yards everyday this week and wanna make sure its not heads going or gonna break down on me. Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Also, i get a studder when i am idling at these temps- similar to a bad ipr or icp- the engine will jump and idle rough. Icp readings are exactly where they should be though.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Anyone!? Not sure if this is related but my a/c only works while idling... at speed it blows outside temps.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Your thermostat needs replacing, get a Ford one, they have better longevity than the store bought ones. The zoodad mod will help bring the IAT's down considerably. My IAT1 is always at ambient temperature and my IAT2 is usually just 30 degrees above that. Not sure about the a/c issue, check a/c coolant and compressor clutch. Coolant level in the Degas bottle should normally be around an inch up from the bottom of the front of the degas bottle.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM

Hey thanks for your help. I will look up the zoodad mod. Which sensor is the IAT1 and 2 i know there is a IAT sensor on the drivers side manifold but where is the other one?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

IAT1 is at the MAF sensor on the plastic tube near the air filter, IAT2 is the sensor inside the Intake Manifold/Plenum.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks. I replaced thermostat and coolant and now the temps are around 200* consistently... Guess it is the 203* thermostat... now its on to figure out why my truck idles like crap when it warms up and run it hard. Most likely have some injectors crabbin out.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM

Whats your FICM voltage? I had a rough idle until I got my rebuilt FICM
Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Never went below 47.5 while cranking. Its possible ficm is going bad.. Two injectors were deemed "failed" revx cleared them up but i think rev x only delays the problem at hand

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYRMN View Post
Your thermostat needs replacing, get a Ford one, they have better longevity than the store bought ones. The zoodad mod will help bring the IAT's down considerably. My IAT1 is always at ambient temperature and my IAT2 is usually just 30 degrees above that. Not sure about the a/c issue, check a/c coolant and compressor clutch. Coolant level in the Degas bottle should normally be around an inch up from the bottom of the front of the degas bottle.
Update: I replaced thermostat and coolant with motorcraft gold and my truck warms up faster and my deltas and temps are alot better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.