ECT: 184*, EOT: 206*, Cause for conern? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT: 184*, EOT: 206*, Cause for conern?

I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 F250 (had it for about a month) and after reading tons of information on these forums I decided to purchase an Insight gauge to monitor my ECT and EOT's.

After several tests (taking the truck out for road cruises) on different days I'm consistantly seeing the ECT at around 184-186* and the EOT running around 204-206*. These values are above the delta 15 that seems to be the cutoff.

This truck is wholly stock, 89k miles, presumably still running the Ford Gold coolant. I purchased this truck for towing my travel trailer (8k lbs) for summer camping as well as an everyday driver.

Should I be concerned right away with the temps or should I monitor it over some time and stop running when a threshold is reached? I would rather be proactive and fix it now rather than when I really need the truck this summer.

Thanks,
Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM

First it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. Standard operating temp is around 190-194 so I would first replace that and get more readings on your deltas. Since the thermostat requires little part removal and needs replaced anyway I'd start there. And do a coolant flush with restore etc. and put new coolant in (either an elc or new ford gold) and see where you stand. For around $150 and a days worth of work this should give you a clear indication of the health of your oil cooler. Hope this helps! Good luck
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like its time for an oil cooler and egr cooler replacement ASAP.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would say with a spread that far apart your oil cooler is already gone. When my thermostat was stuck open I still only saw a delta of 8. I would replace your thermostat and your oil cooler. Is the egr system still on the truck? You might want to look at an egr delete while your doing your oil cooler if you don't need emissions inspection. If you do need it I would check out bullet proof diesels egr cooler. Just what I would do.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what I was afraid of. Correct me if I'm doing anything incorrect?

Step 1: Install Coolant Filter. Is the Sinister kit OK?
Step 2: Flush Coolant and restore coolant, replace with CAT ELC.
Step 3: Install an EGR delete and new oil cooler.

What is the consensus on the BPD kit vs. the Sinister Kit? I'm in Minnesota and do not have any kind of emmissions testing to worry about. I'm on the fence whether to delete the EGR or to go with the BPD solution.

While the engine is torn apart this far does it make sense to also replace the studs with the ARP's?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I did replace the stock head bolts with arp studs when I did mine. I don't think its necessary to do but if you start running high hp tunes you may want to stud the motor. As for the filter I would think sinister is just as good as any. I'm running one from PMM and have no complaints. If you don't need the egr get rid of it. Just my opinion maybe someone else will chime I'm.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM

I'm running a diesel site coolant filter and PMM egr delete. I've heard good things about bulletproof kits though so I would consider them.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the quick replies!!

I've got a pretty good idea on how I'm going to proceed. Now just to scrape up the cash to do it, LOL.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just literally got out of the same boat. Was about to bow my motor I went with the kit from BPD, did the sinister kit with ELC from Cat. I also did a restore & restore plus flush. The crap that came out was amazing.

Unfortunately but fortunately something screwed an intake valve during the process, and now it's in getting studded with beadwork...time to crank up mine
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First

For a coolant filter anything but the IPR High Flow filter is a waste of money IMO. It filters much more coolant and the filter element is cleanable so you don't have to buy filters.

As for the EGR delete I strong suggest deleting it. Why would you want to pump sooty exhaust gasses back through the intake and engine. The IPR Gen2 EGR Delet is the shiznits there too. There are cheaper options but none better.

It is not necessary to replace the head bolts with studs and I wouldn't do it unless you have to do head gaskets. Your oil cooler and your thermostat are shot time to replace them and sooner rather than later. You don't want to be doing head gaskets because you waited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ect, eot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.