6.0L cranks but won't start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L cranks but won't start.

My truck is a 2004 f350 6.0L. It's been running rough lately, intermittently I will get injector codes. I first got 2 for cyl 1&7contrabution. Cleared it road test got a cyl 3 code. I went to drive it to my shop to work on it and the truck started to run better. Cleared the code and it ran good for a week. Problems came back thrusday. Engine is running so rough on the high way the dash shakes in 5th gear if I lug the engine. Got a cyl 1&5 code. Cleared it no more I jector codes have come up but still runs rough. So I'm was thinking stiction even tho I run shell rotella T6 5w40 with revx every oil change. I changed the oil and now it won't start. So I put the scanner on it and here's what I foundFicm 48.3V
Ficm logic power 11v
Fuel psi 60psi
Icp actual 1575
Icp desired 1525psi
Icp volts koeo .27v
Icp cranking 1.79v
Ipr duty cyl koeo 15%
Ipr duty cranking 50%
Rpm 150rpm
I swapped out the ficm with one a friend had that was suppose to be good and same no start. I check fuel psi and its 60psi. Ficm sync and cam crank syn are good. I'm stumped. Good fuel psi good icp psi ficm volts is good. I also tested my ficm volts at the ficm and it never dropped below 48.3v I dunno what else it could be.
Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sub'bed in on this.....still seems like it could be FICM to me.....even though the voltage is correct, something could be going TU in the logic board and the FICM wouldn't be giving the correct commands to the injectors. Which would make sense with the odd injector codes.....90% of the time they don't bounce around like that (1&7, then 3, then 1&5). Did you see the other truck run with the borrowed FICM?

Try giving the guys at ficmrepair.com a call and see what they say....they might be able to tell you over the phone by your symptoms if it's going out, or you might have to send it in.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Also, how many miles???
Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. My truck has 253,000km. The ficm I got is one my buddie had laying around so it could be bad to but usually the logic board side doesn't fail it's usually the side that makes the 48v. I have access to a ficm from a running truck I'm gonna give it a try. I will also give ficm repair a call. Thanks a lot
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benders View Post
Thanks for the reply. My truck has 253,000km. The ficm I got is one my buddie had laying around so it could be bad to but usually the logic board side doesn't fail it's usually the side that makes the 48v. I have access to a ficm from a running truck I'm gonna give it a try. I will also give ficm repair a call. Thanks a lot
True that normally the logic side doesn't, but it can still happen. Does the ICP rise/fall as you crank (meaning a HP oil leak somewhere)? Or does it pump up to 1500 and stay around there.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Icp rises from 0 to between 900-1000 psi sometimes higher and holds steady. I'm wondering about the ficm, possible injectors problems, ficm harness chafing or maybe air in the fuel.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM

FICM harness chafing and/or injector harness chafing are both probable, when is the last time the fuel filters were changed?

Edit....I see you said fuel psi was 60 so that's out.....

Might be just me, but your duty cycle seems pretty high, like maybe you have injectors that are stuck open......IIRC it's not supposed to be above 25%
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I ended up getting my truck running last week end. I had air in the fuel but I still couldn't get it to run swapped out ficm with a known good one. Truck starts to sound different. Ends up starting. Runs bad has a miss but smoothes out eventually. Ran good all week until Friday I come out from work and it won't start. I got it to start and went and put some diesel in. I was below 1/4 tank. Runs fine. I go home and try to start it Saturday morning. Boom won't start again. Seemed to have air but I got it all out now and still won't go. I replaced the short black fuel line with a clear hose and I can't see any air going to the pump now but won't start. I get white grey smoke that's it. I'm super frustrated.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If anybody has any ideas of what else I can check. The truck still won't start. I changed the ipr and it still won't start. I've worked on a lot of 6.0L's but if any wrap my head around this one. Everything on the scanner looks good. But I still can't this truck to run. Please help I need my truck running. Lol
What should ipr duty cycle be when cranking? I've read 80% but I can only get 45-50% from a brand new ipr. There's smoke coming from the exhaust but it won't fire up. Thnx
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM

When you changed FICMs it sounds like you may have found it, whatever it was that got it running again.....maybe the connections aren't seating all the way into the FICM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.