Problems after head gasket/stud job - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 AM
KCCO!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems after head gasket/stud job

All,

I completed the my head gasket / stud install and now am having some what I hope are minor issues. Here's a list of the upgrades I did while she was down.

-OEM Gaskets
-Studs
-EGR Delete
-Blue Spring
-Banjo Bolts
-Oil Cooler Rebuild

Here's the issues I'm having now:

-When I first started her up, big puff of white smoke came out of the tail pipe. I let her run until she reached normal operating temps and the white smoke had died down significantly but is/was still noticeable even when slow throttle was applied, it remained consistent.
-No turbo boost
-White smoke coming from passenger side exhaust manifold area/up-pipe.
-I'm only throwing two DTC's, both of which are for the EGR.

Here are the #'s from CTS:
-FICM: 48V
-Baro: 14.8
-EOT/ECT: 165/168
-EBP: No Reading
-ICP Voltage: Forget to get it
-ICP Pressure: 578-584
-IPW: 1.08-1.33
-IAT: 60 degrees
-MAP: 15 psi
-Mass Air Flow: 34-40
-VGT: 72.6-73.5

I think I have a bad alternator because I have two good batteries (tested) and they they won't turn her over (that's why I didn't get the ICP voltage.) I have the batteries charging now.

I assume the lack of turbo boost is because I didn't get the turbo lined up the way I was supposed to when I put it back in.

I also assume the smoke coming out of the tail pipe is from an injector/injectors.

The white smoke coming from the passenger side up-pipe/exhaust manifold I assume is exhaust leak somewhere between the two, either I didn't tighten the exhaust manifold bolts good enough or I didn't get the clamp on good with the new up-pipe for the EGR delete.

What are your thoughts? Am I on track?

As far as the injectors go, I would need to test them individually or would it be better to send them off? I didn't send them off originally because I wasn't having injector issues when I started the tear down.

And last but not least, the exhaust leak, I would need to go back in and make sure everything is nice and tight and lined up properly correct?

Any and all help is requested and appreciated! Trying to get her back on the road today or tomorrow, she's been down for three months already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Exhaust leak i promise is from the up pipe not being seated properly with the turno exhaust inlet, just fixed mine today and has half the boost as before, took bolt off the manifold and realigned the up pipe to the turbo and problems fixed.

Smell the exhaust if its coolant from a headgasket put on wronge it will smell like maple syrup.

Did you try driving it to see if it cleared it self up? Mine ran like complete butt for the first few miles.

From what i was told te truck runs purely on battery power first few minutes of driving so cant rule alt yet...take a bolt meter to it 14 volt what you want. Also took me 2 cars and a bettery charger to turn mine over enough to get it started after the job.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
KCCO!!

Alternator is good at 14v, I believe the same with the exhaust leak as well...exhaust smells as beautiful as diesel fumes should. I did take her for a test spin yesterday, everything was fine except no turbo boost and the exhaust leak...FICM holds strong at 48v and fuel pp runs when I turn the key. When the fuel pump is done running, I turn the key to crank her and get nothing. I have no injector buzz, just the annoying vaccum thing on passenger side. I did have a blown fuse, #22 I believe it was. When I replaced that fuse, the gauges and everything turned as if she was ready to crank, turned the key and nothing again. Re-checked fuse...all is swell there. Checked ICP sensor. She holds right at 5.1v.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Then the no boost is from the turbo veins not moving, sure its plugged it haha if so then theres another problem abviouly that the only oter way it wouldnt build boost of exhaust ia hooked up fine. How bad is the exhaust leak? Mine wasnt horrible and i could build anymore than 4psi at heavey load.

Take off tuner might be the problem even if it worked before stud job.

Another guy on here has same problem ficm, he says theres a relay under the hood that was/could be bad....check there see if its clicking on.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
KCCO!!

Exhaust leak is minimal, just enough where you can see it while driving. When she's idling, you can't see it. The turbo spools...but no boost. She's not tuned, only monitored. I will check FICM relay when I get off work in the morning.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
KCCO!!

Just baffling as to how she was fine and in less than 5 minutes nothing...at least the weather was nice today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.