bad turbo situation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bad turbo situation

well here it goes: I have a 2006 6.0 f350. At around 12000 miles I added a superchip an mbrp 5 inch exhaust minus the stock cat and an airaid cold air intake. Here I am around 28000 miles and I've been in and out of the dealership with the code p0299 turbocharger underboost problems. Supposedly removing the stock cat was the mistake, but I dont understand how it worked fine for 16000 miles. Supposedly the turbo is or has been spooling up too fast and there's not enough back pressure for it. And now when its even in the drive way you can hear the turbo whistle out the tailpipe for a moment, and then the next moment it seems as if the exhaust flow loses pressure almost and the turbo whistle out the tailpipe ceases for a moment at the same time, then comes back, and after a moment the whole process repeats itself. Its so frustrating and I have no idea what to do. I'm looking for some serious knowledge in the field on this one. I would appreciate any helpful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Alot of people are running without cats so I don't think that is a problem.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm no tech, but I do know that a side effect of modded intake and exhaust is louder turbo whine. Most guys like it. Personally, I don't,and I put my cat back on in hope of quieting it down. It helped, but not that much. The stock intake was designed,IMO,to be a compromise of CFM and turbo muffling. As to the noise change at idle, mine started doing this when they updated the flash. I'm not certain but I think it's just the EGR valve cycling/opening and closing. It all sounds pretty normal to me and unless your having drivability issues, just enjoy! If you want a stock sounding truck, hopefully you still have your original exhaust and intake. Others will hopefully chime in here and either agree or correct me in my thinking. Also, I've never heard complaints of our turbos spooling up too quickly, I'm not buying that! If your underboosting, perform boost test. Check all ICC connections/boots. Cracked Y-pipe maybe? Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast350 View Post
well here it goes: I have a 2006 6.0 f350. At around 12000 miles I added a superchip an mbrp 5 inch exhaust minus the stock cat and an airaid cold air intake. Here I am around 28000 miles and I've been in and out of the dealership with the code p0299 turbocharger underboost problems. Supposedly removing the stock cat was the mistake, but I dont understand how it worked fine for 16000 miles. Supposedly the turbo is or has been spooling up too fast and there's not enough back pressure for it. And now when its even in the drive way you can hear the turbo whistle out the tailpipe for a moment, and then the next moment it seems as if the exhaust flow loses pressure almost and the turbo whistle out the tailpipe ceases for a moment at the same time, then comes back, and after a moment the whole process repeats itself. Its so frustrating and I have no idea what to do. I'm looking for some serious knowledge in the field on this one. I would appreciate any helpful advice.
Try unpluging the egr valve, and see how your whistle acts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.