A good brain teaser - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A good brain teaser

07 f350
-truck smokes like it's over fueling, really high egts when towing, i cannot run any tuning when towing or my egts are uncontrollable. in stock form I'm seeing an easy 1200F with aprox 7000lbs behind me, at half throttle pulling up a hill.

-new injectors, new turbo, both stock (tried two sets of injectors)
-head studs and gaskets
-new oil cooler, egr delete, all updates done
-4" exhaust straight to the tip dp is wrapped
-custom y-pipes also wrapped (keep heat out of the engine bay)
-swapped every sensor on the engine over time with either new/or known good sensors, never any change.
-fuel pressure is good
-oil pressure is good
-coolent and oil temps have always run hot ever since i've owned it. Running empty i normally see 200-205F coolant, oil temps stays within 5degrees empty, running loaded it never passes the magic 15....(might just have a cold weather thermostat in it, it did come from the north)
-transmission temps are good, shifts are strong, nothing slipping.
-smoking has gotten worse now that the weather is warming up
-smokes a little even at idle.

I did run into a guy that figured he had similar issues, and an aftermarket turbo fixed it for him.....thats not really an option for me right now.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

It sounds like your turbo or charge air system is not operator correctly. However, other issues could be the EGR staying open or even an up-pipe exhaust leak. Of course, your EGT gauge could be misreading, but that wouldn't explain the smoke. Have you checked your FICM voltage? If the firing is off, that would cause smoke. There is no reason for you to have high EGTs or high ECT/EOT.

Running a hot T-stat is highly unlikely for it to be that high - a few degrees at most. I live where it is real cold, and a normal T-stat works just fine. Water pump issue as well or a blockage?

Did anyone stuff a tennis ball up your exhaust? How's that for a brain teaser? Butt teaser?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
It sounds like your turbo or charge air system is not operator correctly. However, other issues could be the EGR staying open or even an up-pipe exhaust leak. Of course, your EGT gauge could be misreading, but that wouldn't explain the smoke. Have you checked your FICM voltage? If the firing is off, that would cause smoke. There is no reason for you to have high EGTs or high ECT/EOT.

Running a hot T-stat is highly unlikely for it to be that high - a few degrees at most. I live where it is real cold, and a normal T-stat works just fine. Water pump issue as well or a blockage?

Did anyone stuff a tennis ball up your exhaust? How's that for a brain teaser? Butt teaser?
butt teaser >.> thats a bit kinky for my taste but then he wouldn't be smoking it would just be EGTs.. which at that level of heat and pressure i would hope it would melt the tennis ball
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:

I never remember to write everything down when I'm filling people in on this problem.
-FICM has been replaced with a Swamps 58V (stock tuning), also tried a test FICM just in case.
-tried a different EGT probe, but thats not to say my Insight isint out of wack, might try a standalone egt gauge and see what it says.
-EGR system has been deleted and i'm running new custom built y-pipes
-as far as the tennis ball goes, I've actually replaced the entire exhaust system since this problem developed

I'm not sure on the H2O pump, everything seems fine there, in my experience my temps aren't too far out too lunch, it's mostly the EGTs that I'm worried about

I agree with you on the charge air system not functioning properly, I am trying to get somebody to write me a tune that will pull back the fuel and get the turbo spoolin up a bit more. It really just seems like it's not getting enough air. Stock injectors shouldn't smoke like this.

I'm a diesel mechanic, I really wish these things had wastegated turbos, would make life a heck of a lot easier.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

How much boost is it making, and what air filter is in your truck?

is it pulling the minder in at all?

Over fueling/not enough air, one or the other.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=twoicebergs;4839786]It sounds like your turbo or charge air system is not operator correctly. However, other issues could be the EGR staying open or even an up-pipe exhaust leak. Of course, your EGT gauge could be misreading, but that wouldn't explain the smoke. Have you checked your FICM voltage? If the firing is off, that would cause smoke. There is no reason for you to have high EGTs or high ECT/EOT.

I would have to agree, especially without knowing how much boost you're making. Sounds like you're getting too much fuel or not enough air or both..
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM

fully loaded or at WOT i'm reading 25-27psi on the Insight. That said before I did my EGR delete i was reading up to 30psi on the Insight. A couple psi could make the difference.

I'm still running the stock air filter, not pulling in the restrication indicator at all, I've tried running briefly withought the air filter, no difference. Gonna try this again, see what happens.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clogged cat?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Unless you are running a hot tune with wide PW at lower RPM and boost, stock will not smoke. Your boost seems fine. Anything over 20psi should not smoke at all. However, if your vanes are stuck more open, it could smoke at lower boost and rpm. With what you have added, I would look more at inspecting/cleaning the turbo. The other area to check is your new up-pipes for leaks, but the ability to generate boost don't really support a big problem here.

If you had very late injection (something would have to be wrong with the PCM/FICM or a bad tune), that could cause this problem.

Going deeper, you might want to check your cylinder compression.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Unless you are running a hot tune with wide PW at lower RPM and boost, stock will not smoke. Your boost seems fine. Anything over 20psi should not smoke at all. However, if your vanes are stuck more open, it could smoke at lower boost and rpm. With what you have added, I would look more at inspecting/cleaning the turbo. The other area to check is your new up-pipes for leaks, but the ability to generate boost don't really support a big problem here.
-I've got smoke from light throttle (not as bad) to WOT(this is the worst point), there's even a bit of haze at idle (engine dosen't burn a drop of oil)
-I had the same problems before I replaced my y-pipes, old ones had no signs of leakage, new ones don't either.
-I honestly don't remember if I had these problems before I repalced the turbo, I was 100% stock at that point, there has always been a light haze at idle, which leads me to believe the problem was always there, but any form of tuning seems to agrivate whatever my issue is. I'm going to try and get my hands on an aftermarket turbo and see what happens......too bad MTW is offline right now, I'm sure Adrian could build me something to sort this out

Quote:
If you had very late injection (something would have to be wrong with the PCM/FICM or a bad tune), that could cause this problem.
-FICM has been replaced (original was low voltage), tried a test FICM to verify the new one didn't have issues as well. Swapped the PCM with a known good test unit, no difference
Quote:
Going deeper, you might want to check your cylinder compression.
-Did a compression test when i had the cab off for studs, all cylinders are good, ~400-420psi. Also had my heads machined and pressure tested while off, 100% good, the block deck was almost perfectly true, any warpage was within spec.

Oh and I got rid of the kitty a long time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.