Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Noisey FICM... Or..?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Dirty Diesel 
#1 ·
Hey guys I picked this truck up about half a year ago now, and when I first bought it I didn't notice the sound that it is now making. Sounds like a loud hum or buzz coming from the right front when ever the ignition is in the ON position before starting and it continues even after the glow plug light goes out. When I wait for the injectors to stop clicking, the hum SOMETIMES gets louder but SOMETIMES goes away. The truck was BONE stock when I bought it with 238xxxkm (148k miles) and it had a couple of cheap garbage batteries in it which eventually died and led to a couple low voltage, no-start conditions. :banghead:
Knowing what I know, thanks to everyone here, I'm aware these situations can cook an FICM quickly. Assuming that the lumpy cold starts are related to the FICM, i'm not sure what to do next... Is it time to find a new module? or have it reprogrammed?
Theres a Ford decal under the hood that says the pcm, tcm, and ficm were all reprogrammed in 2007.

Thanks for any and all help!!

#4 ·
That sounds good i'll check that out as soon as I get a free moment to go out there. Is has 4x4 w/ shift on the fly but i'm not sure what a digital climate control looks like in these trucks, as far as I knew they were all the same?

X2 for noise coming from the vacuum pump. Which is normal, just as long as it isn't on all the time. Reprograming isn't going fix the poor starting your now getting. Sounds like your FICM is on its way out so I urge you to check out Bullet Proof Diesel's FICM options. I personally have their billet power supply set to 58 volts which is a very easy DIY job and makes cold starting MUCH faster plus idle noise is MUCH reduced. No reprogramming needed because your using your own bottom half of the FICM. Like you've read, poor quality batteries WILL kill FICM's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yeah i'll have to check it out, what would the benefits be opposed to a new stock ficm?

#3 · (Edited)
X2 for noise coming from the vacuum pump. Which is normal, just as long as it isn't on all the time. Reprograming isn't going fix the poor starting your now getting. Sounds like your FICM is on its way out so I urge you to check out Bullet Proof Diesel's FICM options. I personally have their billet power supply set to 58 volts which is a very easy DIY job and makes cold starting MUCH faster plus idle noise is MUCH reduced. No reprogramming needed because your using your own bottom half of the FICM. Like you've read, poor quality batteries WILL kill FICM's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
I was just having a look at the BPD ficm's and it's got options for either a 4 phase or 6 phase. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge here, but i'm not sure how to determine which I need, or which would be more suitable for me.
I know the difference between the 4 pin and 7 pin, but i'm lost when it comes to the phases.

#7 ·
Maybe i should have read a little futher down on the site where it lists the differences.
Thanks for all the help!

#8 ·
#9 ·
Oh and forgot to mention... Checking codes with an sct, I found the U0306 code - Software incompatibility with ficm. Would this suggest a reflash? or is it just on it's way out?
Along with a P0603 - Internal control module keep alive memory (kam) error

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.