Conflicting info on coolant pressures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Conflicting info on coolant pressures

Howdy, 1st post. Love this site.

So I just picked up the 06 in my sig.

Here is whats up: I have found info saying 3-4psi is normal and 16psi or higher is a head gaskest more so then not. Others are saying it is the rate of increase, cause one might have a bad oil cooler starving the egr and boiling some coolant causing slow pressure increases. As compared to a quick increase with a bad head gasket.

I teed my coolant pressure gauge into degas line.

From cold the pressure does not even start to climb until operating temp is reached and then driving HARD 55-75mph I can GRADUALLY reach 16psi and it can settle to 14psi cruising or slowing around. I also can get it up to almost 20psi flooring it from 0-75mph from 16psi. Leak down after shut down is about .5psi/min. Put a new 16psi degas cap as soon as I picked it up.

Once warmed up and the PRESSURE is RELEASED to 0psi, I can floor it 0-75mph and get it barely to 4psi. Of course if I continue to drive it hard it will eventually reach 14-16psi. NOW I can drive very conservatively under 55 and not see 14-15psi for a while.

Background: I bought this truck on an auction $13k supposedly worth $16k+. Drove it home 300 miles. No smoke, ran awesome averaged over 18mpg. The dealer/person I bought it from said they just replaced the egr CAUSE IT WAS LEAKING. He was not sure if they replaced the oil cooler...I do not think so.
When I got it home and inspected more closely, It clearly looks like they did the egr and not the oil cooler, based on the respective bolts and parts cleanliness on the engine. I called the dealer right after picking it up after finding OIL IN THE COOLANT, he said that was normal and they DID NOT FLUSH THE COOLANT. I started to get confused cause I thought the egr was only exhaust and coolant. Hmmm he said maybe they did the oil cooler, not sure. He just know they DID NOT FLUSH THE COOLANT. I have removed most of the oil in the degas bottle to only see more slowly make it into the degas. The coolant level seems to be steady.

Me thinks the oil cooler is bad, but wait. I performed the combustion gas detector tester for the degas bottle. The test showed positive for combustion gas. Oh no hg?!? Wait they had a failed egr cooler and did not flush after the job. HERE IS THE QUESTION: can combustion gases under pressure dissolve into the liquid (like soda) during a egr failure and stay there for a while. They said they hardly drove it after the job. I buy that story cause an inter cooler boot blew 1st big hill on the freeway.

I'm being nice to the dealer guy right now cause I want some info, I have not found out yet if they "think" they "really" did the oil cooler. I spoke w/him today I'm afraid he is not going to call me back after speaking to his "diesel technician"

Take bets

Side note: Local craigslist i picked up $2100 worth of new parts for $700. Including arp studs, stock gaskets, oil cooler &kit, NUC bypass oil filter kit, sinister coolant filter kit, icp sensor, various gaskets and update/rebuild kits. Guy just bought a blackwater w/studs after seeing the engine tore down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of mechanic wouldn't flush the cooling system if the oil cooler was leaking??? I'll tell you, one you need to stay FAR away from!! Hell NO it's NOT normal to see some oil in the degas bottle!! Hydrocarbons in the cooling system will soften your rad hoses from the inside out and you'll find yourself stranded, in the middle of nowhere probably, with a ruptured hose. I suppose its possible for a false positive exhaust gas test as air can take a bit of time to work its way out of the cooling system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Term3; 04-01-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My ruptured EGR cooler was caused due to inadequate coolant from from a clogged oil cooler and caused my head gaskets to blow by leaking coolant into the cylinders... Yours sounds like it has shared the same fate. Thankfully, my oil cooler didn't rupture and leak oil into the coolant. If you don't end up with a milkshake in your degas bottle, thank your lucky stars, but it's still not a good situation... See if you can get your money back or start on your bulletproofing now. Best of luck!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Yea that place scared me. Oh well. I feel bad for the karma they might be inflicting upon themselves and hey maybe I deserved to get these problems, no worries. On my way to understanding these motors and building some hp!!

Only put a few hundred mile on since the egr replacement.
I'm going to flush coolant and replace rubber and then replace oil cooler and egr delete. Then back to combustion gas tester and coolant pressure gauge.

Since I got the truck home I got my scan gauge programmed for the eot to compare with coolant temp and did not get much over 11 degrees delta. 184coolant and 195oil... But that was only 5 minutes after warm up of driving back roads doing coolant pressure tests from 0-75mph and 45-65 cruising. Once I get er registered Ill see what the delta is on the highway, On the way to the shop!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well that tells you it still has the old cooler in it for sure.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the oil cooler isn't clogged, it's most certainly ruptured and needs to be replaced.

I'd also agree that your head gaskets are most likely blown.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Well that tells you it still has the old cooler in it for sure.

Me thinks your right!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
If the oil cooler isn't clogged, it's most certainly ruptured and needs to be replaced.

I'd also agree that your head gaskets are most likely blown.
Yes and they very well might be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.