6.0L acting funky - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L acting funky

I have a 2005 6.OL PSD F350 4door dually 4by4 sport, I have a 5 in exhaust. I recently had the quadzilla programmer on the truck but it never quite acted right. It always would make my struck cut off while driving down the road seemingly whenever it wanted it to do so. It ran good with it but not as well as I was expecting. So I removed it. Now the problems start. It has turbo lag but once it gets going it run like a raped ape. But when I hook a trailor to it ,I would say 8,500lbs, this truck acts like it does not know what to do, It pulls okay on level ground but when it hits a hill at 70 it drops to atleast 55mph and the engine fan kicks on and I can smell coolant, the temp gauge stays normal and some times the turbo will make a hi pitch skreech let off the pedal and it goes away. And talk about poor poor fuel economy. No coolant loss just tiny bit of white coolant residue from around the cap on the coolant resivour, no white smoke, no black smoke. I change the fuel, oil and air filters regularly. Took it to Ford several times and they couldn't find any problems. What gives anyone have any clues? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
You came to the right place - we've got some GREAT diesel techs on here who love to help......I just don't happen to be one of them.
Not that I wouldn't love to help, I just am new to these things myself. This will bump your post and one of the smart guys will be along shortly.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I appreciate it
Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

the first thing i want to try is this.......

Disconnect your battery cables for at least an hour. Recoonect them, start the truck, and let it idle for 10 minutes. Then go drive it just like you normally would for about fifteen miles. Lets see if we can get that turbo to relearn stratagy.

As far as the coolant expultion......is your coolant level above the cold minimum line?? If it is, it shouldnt be. That is actually considered the max cooloant line now. You may even have the recall open to put a sticker on to fix that. If it is above the min line, drain it down right to that line and i bet that gets fixed....
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok

I will try disconnecting the batterys for an hour as you said. And I have had the coolant level recall all ready performed on the truck. I am going to try pressurizing the system and see if the threads on the cap are actually premitting the coolant to escape. Thanks a lot!:beer2:
Old 09-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

its actually possible the cap is not good. If it vents before 16psi, it will do just what your describing as well....
Old 09-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the help mark. I took your advice before a long road trip. Seemed to have more power and better economy. Not sure with a trailer yet I will hopefully have use one this week. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.