Bad fuel, injectors, or FICM? I really can't tell - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad fuel, injectors, or FICM? I really can't tell

Ok to begin here a few months back I had a bad fuel pump and it went unnoticed for too long and it caused damage to all 8 injectors and they had to be replaced also. My fuel pressure was back to normal (my mechanic told me I don't have a gauge), and my truck had alot of power so I didn't really worry any more about it. Well I got a few misfires a few weeks back so I went out and bought a Scangauge II to moniter my FICM voltage which is relatively normal (47-48v). I keep hearing from these fourms that I have the classic symptoms of a failing FICM and the scangauge readings for the voltage may be inaccurate. Well the misfires went away and my engine started sounding alot better. That is until I filled my tank yesterday. It drove and ran perfect until this morning and I started it up and white smoke started out the exhaust, it misfires quite a bit, my rpms were higher than they normally were, and my gas mileage decreased quite a bit. I mean I re- entered info on my scangauge bc I put a 25 gallon tank instead of a 29 gallon like it was maybe that explains the gas mileage thing bit I really don't understand. Is my fuel bad? I called the gas station and they said it was a mixture and not pure diesel fuel. If it is bad fuel what should I do? And if I do anything I would have to wait a week to take it anywhere because I leave town tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I would put a gauge on the fuel pressure and see where you are. There are some filters in the tank and if they get plugged up new fuel pump or not you pressure drops.
I would do it now before you have another injector crises.

The white smoke may be a bad injector holding open. Check your oil and see if the level is climbing. Is it cranking over hard after sitting a while ?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I would put a gauge on the fuel pressure and see where you are. There are some filters in the tank and if they get plugged up new fuel pump or not you pressure drops.
I would do it now before you have another injector crises.

The white smoke may be a bad injector holding open. Check your oil and see if the level is climbing. Is it cranking over hard after sitting a while ?
Well the earliest I can do something is in 2 weeks as I am leaving on spring break tomorrow. But anyway I also posted this on another fourm and one guy said I have the classic symptoms of a bad torque converter. I kinda believe that because my tow haul light has flashed quite a bit, and I'm due for a transmission service. Also I still have tons of power, no power lagging unless I'm accelerating and I only get 2 mpg but once I'm up to speed and really no more lagging. As of right now my prime suspect is the torque converter. And if it is bad fuel, would it start after sitting a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.