Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad fuel, injectors, or FICM? I really can't tell

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  joejack6.0 
#1 ·
Ok to begin here a few months back I had a bad fuel pump and it went unnoticed for too long and it caused damage to all 8 injectors and they had to be replaced also. My fuel pressure was back to normal (my mechanic told me I don't have a gauge), and my truck had alot of power so I didn't really worry any more about it. Well I got a few misfires a few weeks back so I went out and bought a Scangauge II to moniter my FICM voltage which is relatively normal (47-48v). I keep hearing from these fourms that I have the classic symptoms of a failing FICM and the scangauge readings for the voltage may be inaccurate. Well the misfires went away and my engine started sounding alot better. That is until I filled my tank yesterday. It drove and ran perfect until this morning and I started it up and white smoke started out the exhaust, it misfires quite a bit, my rpms were higher than they normally were, and my gas mileage decreased quite a bit. I mean I re- entered info on my scangauge bc I put a 25 gallon tank instead of a 29 gallon like it was maybe that explains the gas mileage thing bit I really don't understand. Is my fuel bad? I called the gas station and they said it was a mixture and not pure diesel fuel. If it is bad fuel what should I do? And if I do anything I would have to wait a week to take it anywhere because I leave town tomorrow.

#2 ·
I would put a gauge on the fuel pressure and see where you are. There are some filters in the tank and if they get plugged up new fuel pump or not you pressure drops.
I would do it now before you have another injector crises.

The white smoke may be a bad injector holding open. Check your oil and see if the level is climbing. Is it cranking over hard after sitting a while ?

#3 ·
Well the earliest I can do something is in 2 weeks as I am leaving on spring break tomorrow. But anyway I also posted this on another fourm and one guy said I have the classic symptoms of a bad torque converter. I kinda believe that because my tow haul light has flashed quite a bit, and I'm due for a transmission service. Also I still have tons of power, no power lagging unless I'm accelerating and I only get 2 mpg but once I'm up to speed and really no more lagging. As of right now my prime suspect is the torque converter. And if it is bad fuel, would it start after sitting a week?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.