6.0 intermittent boost issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 intermittent boost issue

Hi there,

Got a 2005 6.0 with an intermittent boost issue this only happens once in a while but is normally ok. My truck is as follows
2005 6.0
Arp studs
Egr delete
Oil cooler etc
Livewire ts (Canned tunes at the moment to elimate that it wasn't a problem with tune)

So basically what happens you are going along at 50mph you then want to punch it (WOT) the turbo doesn't spool stays at 0psi and just blows loads of black smoke. If you roll into the power it's normally ok, it doesn't do this all the time just sometimes. I also had it where I was at a light and went WOT to 85mph then let off and went to get back on the power and there was no psi and black smoke.

I had the bulletproofing done just over a month ago, it's not throwing any codes and I have checked for boost leaks. From reading online I think it may be sticking vanes in the turbo??

Any help or advise is greatly welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, that sounds like sticking vanes in your turbo.

Did you have it bulletproofed because of a bad egr cooler or headgaskets? I ask this because if you did then your turbo sticking is from having coolant blow through the turbo causing excessive rusting and corrosion.

My turbo started doing the same thing shortly after my egr cooler was replaced because of leaking. So the turbo was replaced next and solved the issue!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM

That's exactly what happened, the egr cooler went and the truck wouldn't even drive just white smoke so I had the studs head gaskets everything done. I am going to get back in contact with the guy that did the work and see what he says as he was meant to have cleaned the turbo as part of the deal. I figured today if you Wot it then get straight on the power it's when it does it. How hard if he won't is it to take off and take apart and clean??
Old 03-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's not that hard to remove the turbo and clean it.

There are many videos on youtube showing removal and cleaning here is a good informative one:

Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM

So I put a bottle of the diesel clean stuff thru, I forget the brand but it was the expensive one, I also have been getting on it hard working the turbo hard and it seems to have cleaned up quite a lot and doesn't seem to do it now. Do you this is will have solved the issue? Maybe just slight corrosion and working the truck kind of hard has moved the vanes about and cleaned the rust off? It seems to boost really good now. I guess I am going to leave it for a week or so and see how it's going then if not I will have to take the turbo off and clean it.

Is there a special procedure to starting the truck after the turbo has been reinstalled to the truck? I read that some people have problems with oil pressure after turbo removal etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.