knocking/missing and turbo noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy knocking/missing and turbo noise

ok i've read thur a bunch of posts and nobody else's problem sounds quite like mine. I've owned this 2004 F250 FX4 crew since she was 189kish miles young (about 8 months ago). When I first purchased it i drove it home and found it leaking diesel, took it back and they fixed some part (don't remember). When I picked it up from the shop I drove down the street and found it to have no power at all. Went back to shop and found it needed a high pressure oil pump. While there were in there I used the free labor to change the oil cooler (new ford unit I believe) and did the EGR delete kit (not sure the brand). She was running fine changed the oil and fuel filters at 195k miles and got into a 4 car pile up the next day (just bumper damage for me with a 2.5" lift/level kit). Anyway the insurance for the causer of the accident gave me a large sum of money and I turned around and bought bumpers (bondocks something or others will post up pics when they get here), a AFE stage 2 intake and a Edge Juice with CTS. After I got the intake and Edge stuff in installed them (about a week ago). I've run it a few times in each setting and put about 900 miles on the truck with them installed. Everything was fine until this morning. Fire the truck up and it sounds/feels like it is missing. This does not go away when the truck is warm. I drove the truck up the street and the missing stays constant with RPM (seems to miss faster at higher RPM) so i'm thinkin maybe i lost an injector. On the trip back i try to spool the turbo to see if anything is really wrong. Under load (foot on the break at a stop) the turbo spools but makes a crazy crackling noise and when you let off it makes even more noise out the intake (both noises are new). I drive it home and when the turbo is under light spool the turbo makes the noise (and you can even feel it doing what it is doing). I'm now scared that I broke the turbo. But that wouldn't explain the missing i wouldn't think. So i broke many things...AND it was running fine the day before (about a 200 mile trip). So i'm stuck....any help PLEASE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OH i forget to add the truck came with a 4" turbo back exhaust but I don't know who made it. Also there are no codes thrown...except for the ocasional EGR flow code (forget the number) that is for the EGR del. No other codes that would explain anything being wrong. And i looked at the injector pressure (600ish idle to above 1kish driving) and the Injector Voltage (at or just above 1 but moves a little with different RMS). I'm not so sure if these would tell me if i have a injector problem or not.

Last edited by DasBronco; 03-29-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: forget more info
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update...just started the truck...hard to start...still has same surging/missing problem...still no coded. I noticed the lights especially the one under the hood are flickering with the motor running. In park at 3k rpm the truck is only making 2-3lbs of boost...is that normal? Not as much turbo noise tho, but I did not want to try under load for fear of breaking more stuff. I hope to have time tomorrow to remove the intake to take a look at the turbo. I'm not sure if you can tell if it is bad from the intake side or not but I guess it is worth the look

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM

just for the hell of it look and see if the tube from the air box to the turbo is connected and then check and see if the line from the driverside manifold to the turbo is intake? I had a similar prob on the passenger side the positive battery wire while the truck is runnin and all the lights are on grab that positive wire were it links from one red to four grey or some material lum and jiggle it see if it does any thing? mine would want to shut down and or the headlights and inside dash gauge cluster would turn off and the truck would sputter
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update...I gave up after looking at everything and took the truck to Ford...#6 piston is toast and so is the cylinder wall...need a new block...ford is happy to do it for me at an estimated $17k...not too bad for a truck I bought a year ago for $14k...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

You should be able to find a long block for 6000 or less. Or start hitting the salvage yards. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM

ouch.. look around for a used one man.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can get a long block with ARP studs and fully machined heads with hardened seats for $4400 from Blackwater.

No, I do not work for them, nor have I ever used them, but they appear to know their stuff. There was a member here who gave a nice write-up on how they rebuild their engines. (he would not say who he worked for, he was not trying to do a sales job...)

MikeB
Old 08-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update

ok guys new engine in (black water engines long block) and I went to prime the oil system (pulled FICM like suggested on here) but i'm having some electrical issues. The Edge controller doesn't show up at all...when I turn the key to the on position all the dash lights come on and the dash beeps/dings. When you turn to crank it just clicks (like a dead bat). I put a charger on both batteries for a couple hours and they are reading at 100% charge now but same problem. I noticed the dome light stays on...and when you turn it to the acc key position the radio turns on until you push the brake (accident at first) then it turns off...no brake radio works...brake on no radio. I'm completely lost. I've checked all the grounds (I think) and I'm at a loss what could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.