P1236 Fuel Pump Control out of range... Fuel pump fail? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P1236 Fuel Pump Control out of range... Fuel pump fail?

Hi everyone.

Truck died last week. Drained water separator, about a liter of fluid came out. Changed filters, then ran fine. Died again Friday, sputtering with zero power. The fuel bowl is not filling up when you turn key now..Just drained water separator again and about another liter came out. It wont start, but I knocked the HFCM with a light blow several times, turned key and it started for about a minute.. but roughhh.

I have code "P1236 Fuel Pump Control out of range"

Does it sound like I had bad fuel and my HFCM went out on me? Because if the fuel bowl won't fill up, wouldn't that be the cause?

My dad thinks that the mesh screen at tank is clogged.

Any Ideas would be appreciative. It is now at shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, I have been running fuel conditioner all winter. This is an on going problem. I have been on the side of the road several times before. Usually when it gets warmer out (like -5C) it acts up. (avg temp has been -20C all winter)

It has usually started once I let motor cool down for 20 min in the past.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone have ideas on this?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There was a TSB about the liner coming apart in steel tanks and clogging the pick up. Is your tank steel or plastic? Whats the fuel level in the tank. If its below 1/4 tank then the diaphragm in pick up may have fallen out and you're sucking air. These are a couple of possibilities but seeing as how you have a code for the pump, chances are it has taken a dump on you. Don't keep trying to run the truck until you are absolutely sure you do have adequate fuel pressure. Starving the injectors of fuel is a good way to toast em. That being said, any time you service the fuel system, be sure to take your time and bleed the system with several key on key off cycles with some time between each one to allow for trapped air to bleed out
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's a plastic tank. And is at 3/4 but was running like crap before at 1/8 tank. My dad said that about the screen.

And ya I tried cranking but resorted to seeing if the fuel bowl itself will fill.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM

Not supposed to run these trucks below 1/4 tank. I know it sounds ridiculous, and if you're like me then your asking yourself, why cant I use my whole tank? Especially at 38 gallons. I've watched my fuel pressure gauge and when it gets below 1/4 tank, it starts to fluctuate big time. Anything under 45 PSI is no good. At 200-300 a pop for injectors, ill just keep it over 1/4 Tank. Heres reference for the diaphram.
Attached Thumbnails
P1236 Fuel Pump Control out of range... Fuel pump fail?-image.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM

I found this today, and I dont know if it applies to everyone, but I didnt know these particular screens were in there. Of course ive never dropped my tank so I only assumed there was the screen on the bottom of the pick up...FORD POWERSTROKE DIESEL LACKS POWER ON ACCEL DUE TO FUEL RESTRICTION - YouTube
Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaiman View Post
I found this today, and I dont know if it applies to everyone, but I didnt know these particular screens were in there. Of course ive never dropped my tank so I only assumed there was the screen on the bottom of the pick up...FORD POWERSTROKE DIESEL LACKS POWER ON ACCEL DUE TO FUEL RESTRICTION - YouTube
Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A little update... It took one hour in the shop. Mechanic said it was the Inertia Switch.

He bypassed it and it starts fine!

I now however have a slight shudder when you rev it to about 1300 rpm and it goes down to idle it misses a little. Maybe Injector damage due to running engine dry twice?!!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Inertia switch? No $hit!! Only time Ive ever seen a problem with those is in the older Mustangs where they were mounted in the rear... Slam the hatch or trunk too hard and you're out of business. Oh well... Yeah runnin injectors dry will cause some damage. Maybe a balance test can pinpoint which one it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
p1236

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.