6.0 woes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 woes

Howdy; long story here so I'll try to be as brief as possible;

I bought a 2004 6.0 back in 2007, drove it until 2012 with various problems along the way mostly due to cold starts in the north and what seemed to be injector stiction. Truck would run fine hot, soon as it was cold though it was hard starting and stumbled real hard on like 3-4 cylinders until warm. I took it to a diesel mechanic and replaced an injector in March 2012, drove to Texas 1600 miles away and it was fine. The mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the motor other than the #4 injector which was replaced with a new motorcraft.

When I got to Texas, I drove it for a few weeks and went under its own power into a Sears parking lot. When I came out of Sears, it refused to start and I never got it to. I did as much troubleshooting as I could and figured it was either the IPR or LP oil pump since the LP oil gauge would not move when cranking. I took it to another diesel mechanic who hooked it up to a computer and said 3 cylinders were low on compression and that was the problem. I asked if he pulled glow plugs to test compression, he said no. I questioned this... I figured he was full of **** but the motor probably was fubar anyways.

So, I sold this truck to someone as a loss, with them knowing there was an engine problem. They tried to fix it, refused to pay me for it when they couldn't and I had to repo it. Once I got it back, I found someone who offered to put a new engine in the truck for 5k so I agreed.

The guy put a brand new engine in the truck and it refused to run. They did some troubleshooting and part swapping only to find that the FICM was OK but the PCM was NOT. They replaced the PCM with an equivalent model, I think it was xxx-AGP, one for a manual trans 2004 from a scrap yard. I also had him install an EGR delete kit on the motor, so there is a blockoff plate however the EGR valve is still plugged in so there is no CEL.

The problem now is that the truck runs great when its cold, but when it warms up it starts to stumble and runs like crap. Once it cools off again, it runs fine. Any ideas? I'm thinking it has to be a sensor of some sort... I'm kind of pissed I dumped a new motor into this truck and it turned out to be an electronic problem the previous mechanic i paid failed to diagnose. I hate to keep sinking money into this thing, but now I'm obligated to at least get it running.

Any help is appreciated... I'm really starting to hate these 6.0's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.