puked coolant but passed pressure test???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
puked coolant but passed pressure test????

So a while back discovered my truck puked a very small amt of coolant like less then a couple table spoons it looked like. my temps are average 184 ECT and 190-191 EOT. so i did some research and got help from you guys and did a couple pressure test with a new updated cap....

I hooked the line onto the top line of the degas bottle and never got above 11-12 psi it looked like. It stayed around 6-7 til I hit throttle hard. when I ran WOT for few mins back and fourth. so I parked and bled pressure off and it didn't seem to build anymore for the 5-10 min ride home.

2 weeks later went from Fairfield ca to Licoln CA about 1 hr and 10 min and ran it pretty hard and then the next day my friend wanted to see my coolant filter and i puked quite a bit... and my coolant lvl seemed to rise half inch from when I last marked it. maybe around 70 degrees whole day.

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

is your coolant level at the revised mark (does it have the new sticker?)

If no sticker the new "full" in the Min mark embossed on the bottle.

Did you take the pressure gauge off? what was the pressure reading during the puke trip?

MikeB
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Coolant will expand. As well, the hoses will flex to affect the level to a lesser degree. If you had a bubble in your top hose, that would affect your level as the temp changes.

Besides a bad HG or ruptured EGR cooler, the puking might have been a flash boil at the EGR cooler. This can happen when you stop after running it hard. If there is enough pressure created, you will get some puking. As previously mentioned, the level in the degas needs to be on the new low side.

Seems like your thermostat is failing with the low ECT.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

so when the puke first happened I put a mark about 3/4in below the ONE line on my degas bottle (I only have one???) and even with the puke it did a few days ago it looks like its not even below the line.

1. I was not running with the pressure test the 2nd time it puked.
2. I dont think I have a bad egr assuming so at least only about 1.5k on a BPD egr cooler. and about 2 yrs on oil cooler.
3. Im getting the guy who does most installations for MKM Customs (sinister diesel) to do a couple of test on Saturday hes very knowledgeable and very polite with all my questions.

I attached a pic of my current coolant level anyone think its to high or? I only have one mark on the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
puked coolant but passed pressure test????-coolant-level-after-puke.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 AM

the level looks OK, maybe just a tad high.

MikeB
Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 AM

Are you monitoring the engine? I had the same issue with mine when it was stock, but when I got my insight and started monitoring it I found out that I was having "flashboiling" moments where my alarm would start screaming and the ect was at 235* but only for 8-10 seconds and then all would go back to normal temps. The factory gauges in the dash would never move from the "normal" position when this would happen, I had a ruptured egr and blown headgaskets.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Premium Member

I could be mistaken, but usually the flash boil only happens after you are shut down or if you had really high EGT and slow moving coolant (clogged oil cooler or EGR cooler). I guess if you had an air pocket in the system that could contribute to it as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

had the tech who installs sinister diesel stuff run a headgasket test... im at 21.5psi so im doing headstuds, and new oil cooler but cash is tight so i gotta use credit card for the bulk of it. anyone know cheapest place to get arp headstuds, and oil cooler? im gonna do a vc-9 and restore plus flush and kill my current oil cooler and clean out all the gunk...

also i have a 04 new turbo with 1800ish miles for sale did the 03 turbo swap lol.

thx for all the help everyone now just price hunting for studs
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the update. I guess the pressure test you initially did was off the mark.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

lol you're tellin me. thx for all your guys input though everyone has been very helpful with all my questions and I try to share what I learned with ppl that ask me.

my roommate wants a 6.0 bad becuase he says 7.3's are to sluggish for him so we know what to look for in a used one now haha.

thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.