Low power problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low power problems?

High there. I am new to the forum and to the Diesel market. The truck I have recently aquired seems to have slow acceleration. It seems as though the turbo isn't really spooling up. It starts fine, runs fine, and there is no smoke from the exhaust, even under WOT.

It's and 03, stock with an exhaust system on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the Org. If you think its a low boos boost problem, it could be a number of things. Worn unison ring, sticking vanes, bad VGT solenoid, leaking uppipes, leaking intercooler or cac boots, map sensor/map tubing, EPB sensor/clogged tube.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM

IF THE VANES WERE STICKING WOULDN'T I SEE SMOKE? AGAIN, I AM NEW TO THIS DIESEL MARKET. ONE THING I PLAN TO CHECK IS THE BOOT THAT IS PRONE TO CRACKING ON THE TURBO, BUT HAVEN'T GOT TO THAT YET. Could it be a EGR problem, I understand that I should be able to unplug it, to see if it is, am I, or is this a correct ussumption? Or would that even have any affect on what I'm seeing? Possible FICM problem? Just trying to limit the possible causes.

You meantioned the CAC pipe? is that the one I am meantioned above, again sorry, I'm trying to familiarize myself with all the bits and pieces on this rig.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First start by pulling any codes. A stock tuned truck has trouble making soot, check the CAC boots that your talking about, especially the 45* boot that comes off the turbo. Sometimes the rip/damage can be at the edge or under the clamp, so it's best to remove for inspect.

Pull you EGR valve out to inspect and clean.

Check your FICM, and check for exhaust leaks at the flex bellows on the up-pipe and y-pipe.

Check your wiring harness for the VGT actuator.

Check your MAP hose for damage and check for MAP hose and intake fitting for clogs.

Check your EBP sensor wires for damage and check/clean the EBP tubing.

Have you recently had the batteries disconnected? If so, you having an 03 might need to do the VGT relearn procedure.

KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure
1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)
2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)
3. Turn on the headlights
4. Disconnect both batteries
5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).
6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes
7. Turn off the headlights.
8. Re-connect batteries
9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".
10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.
11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:

15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn"
its adaptive strategy. Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the
P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed. As for the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission
must re-learn your driving style and loads hauled again as this was cleared when the truck was
re-flashed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The truck I have recently acquired seems to have slow acceleration. It seems as though the turbo isn't really spooling up. It starts fine, runs fine, and there is no smoke from the exhaust, even under WOT.
How do you know the turbo is not spooling? What is the boost doing? What is your EBP? On stock tuning, it is not likely to get smoke unless you have a large boost or exhaust manifold leak to drive the turbo.

Quote:
IF THE VANES WERE STICKING WOULDN'T I SEE SMOKE?
Depends on the tune and where they might be stuck. If they are stuck about 55% you will see no smoke. If you have a monitor, you can see if the vanes move. The only time you might see smoke is if the vanes were open and you punch the pedal at low RPM. If you had a larger PW tune, you would see more smoke if the turbo was sticking.

Quote:
Could it be a EGR problem, I understand that I should be able to unplug it, to see if it is
Yes, it could be the problem. Unplugging it will not be a guarantee that it truly closes. It could be unplugged and partially open due to dirt, giving poor performance.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM

Twoicebergs- as I stated, there is not "tune" done to it as I know of, hence I said stock in my original statement. And I currently don't have a tuner/scanner. Although I have ordered one. Also, this may seem dumb on my part, but not being knowledgable on all the acronyms for all the "could be faulty" parts, or where they are located, is my bad. I am trying to gain knowledge on this end, hence me joining this forum. I really do appreciate any of the help you folk can provide, but as stated, I am new to this market.

When I say I don't hear the turbo spooling, I would assume that with the exhaust, it would be more pronounce. Again, I may be wrong. But I can say that it doesn't accelerate like it should. I don't tromp on it from a stop, but I have put it to the woods at 30 or so, and it feels like I am pulling my home with me. No misses, hickups or anything like that along the way, just no go.

I purchased this vehicle basically for pulling a 5th wheel. Upgrading and my old 1/2zer won't do the job.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Also, I just stated that it had no smoke, so that question didn't come up, providing as much info as I can at the moment.

Again I TOTALLY appreciate all of the info I can get, from all you more knowledgable people!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Here is some books to read, to get to know where parts are located. Start with the 2003 and work your way up, also check out the turbo book.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-08.php

Being an 03 and lack of power, also check the ICP sensor for oil leaking and damaged plug/wires. Lack of power on an 03 could also indicate early signs of the HPOP going bad. You can check this with the air test, or check the ICP readings at WOT.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Monitoring the 6.0 will help troubleshoot issues.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

You can check FICM volts with a multimeter.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/site/how...oltageTest.pdf

Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

I only gave the reference to smoke so you would know the difference as to why it wasn't smoking. The turbo will not spool at a stop. You need a load to get boost to build and it would be almost impossible for you to hear it from inside the cab. However, you should hear some turbo whistle at idle or if you hold the brake and build some boost.

The truck could seem like a dog with stock tuning, keep in mind it is a heavy truck.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 03-27-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.