New Owner Head Gasket Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Owner Head Gasket Question

Hey guys Im a new owner of a 6.0. I bought one that has 72K miles on it, and after reading so many stories about the head gaskets and such its got me freaked out lol. I ran the history of the truck before I bought it and the head gaskets havent been touched. The previous owner however told me that its had "all the updates" done to it from Ford--whatever that meant...I didnt get a decisive answer about that.

My question is though, with me being the 3rd owner of the truck, if head gasket problems do arrise will Ford fix it? Was this a warranty issue? Recall? Or will Ford just say Im SOL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamania View Post
Hey guys Im a new owner of a 6.0. I bought one that has 72K miles on it, and after reading so many stories about the head gaskets and such its got me freaked out lol. I ran the history of the truck before I bought it and the head gaskets havent been touched. The previous owner however told me that its had "all the updates" done to it from Ford--whatever that meant...I didnt get a decisive answer about that.

My question is though, with me being the 3rd owner of the truck, if head gasket problems do arrise will Ford fix it? Was this a warranty issue? Recall? Or will Ford just say Im SOL?
Your out of warranty, so anything that goes bad is on your dime. You can prevent anything by going wrong by educating yourself on every aspect of that motor.

Read all the stickies in the 6.0 section, and check out the tech files too. You need to monitor your vitals ASAP.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Would it be worth looking into extended warranty?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Depending on the year of the truck itself you MAY be able to get Ford's extended warranty and it is the ONLY one I would even consider. That said IF you can get your truck enrolled in it be prepared to fight tooth and nail on every warranty claim.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamania View Post
Would it be worth looking into extended warranty?
I have never successfully used an "extended warranty", so IMO no. But there are some guys on here that have them.

You can also take your truck in to the dealership, and have them make sure all recalls are done. Might as well get n Oasis report while your there.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Depending on the year of the truck itself you MAY be able to get Ford's extended warranty and it is the ONLY one I would even consider. That said IF you can get your truck enrolled in it be prepared to fight tooth and nail on every warranty claim.
That's what I am talking about "successfully" using a extended warranty.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Yeah.. I don't think Ford will fix it for you lol. What year is it? Do you happen to know what the previous owner used the truck for, and did he/she have all the maintenance logged such as fluid changes and such? 6.0's are very sensitive to neglect in regular maintenance. But as BIG Laing has said above, educate yourself in the way these motors work. You will begin to learn how things fall apart and lead to HG failure. Keep up with your fluids, and preventative maintenance and you'll be alright. As long as the previous owner didn't beat the truck to hell.

I've had mine for just about 4 months now, and I'm beginning to get an understanding of it all. Just ordered my coolant filtration system, it's nothing major. But a step in the right direction. I hope you find this forum as useful as I have!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 AM

Before I bought the truck I had a girl at the Ford dealership I know run the oasis report on it and it said that the truck had no issues. It did however hove those bulletins about the egr and head gaskets. The ones that say before doing head gaskets refer to whatever the number was I forget. I am honestly a duramax guy..I know I know..I have an 06 LBZ and LOVE IT. I came across this 04 Harley Edition with 72K on it and I just couldnt pass the deal up.

As far as the fluids are concerned they were very particular. I know they ran T6 Rotella in it, and changed the fuel filters regularly. I THINK but Im not positive that it still has the Ford gold coolant in it-Which is soon to change. I really like the truck I just DO NOT want to have issues with the head gaskets. I wish I knew someone around here that could do the egr cooler delete for/with me. Mechanically I can do it no problem, Ive always worked on my own stuff, its just my job doesnt allow me the time to do things like that nor do I have the facilities to do it right now.

I knew the extended warranty was a long shot. I ran into that with my Duramax, I purchased extended warranty for it from the dealer exactly the way the truck sad. Long story short I had to have my steering gearbox replaced and they denied my claim saying its got "too large of tires on it." The EXACT same tires that was on it when I purchased it.

As far as a coolant flush does anybody have any opinions on that Wynn flush system? Good or bad?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Well guys I did the coolant flush today and got my coolant filter kit ordered. I am really REALLY trying to keep from having EGR cooler issues. Luckily the flush was pretty clean all in all.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im looking at a 05 f250 right now with just under 70k from a dealer and its just a damn sexy truck and will do the job I need it for but this whole thing just has me worried. Its in my price range and its that or a cummins with less features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.