Turbo Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Leak

I've looked and looked for some insight on this...

Just got done putting studs in, prior to I didn't have any issues other than a HPO leak, replaced all o-rings and turbo has been taken on and off several times for egr delete, HPO system tests and so forth. We did get the heads resurfaced and put everything back together. Now I have a leak under the hood that sounds like I have my a/c on high while its under boost. I unplug the vgt and it goes away. I've checked where the exhaust manifolds mount to up/y pipes and both have mounted correctly and are as tight as I can get them with the stubby wrench and 3/8 ratchet due to tight quarters. I have a perfect seal from the y-pipe to the turbo and my exhaust is the same. I can't find this DA@# leak... any ideas?? it's definitely from the back of the motor and not the intercoolers and so forth, but just to be sure I'm going to rule out the CAC system with a leak test this weekend.

It only builds to 20# of boost under WOT and tuned so idk....im about to take it to a stealership and tell them to fix the dang thang and pay the money. I'll take the KY with me...just about fed up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: Turbo Leak

It could be the y pipe bellows just rotted out I just replaced mine and that cleared up my leak in a hurry make sure there is no black residue around them if there is that could be the culprit, Id recommend strokers unlimited for a new on really great quality and great price about 150 for a ceramic coated one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I found the leak. It was actually a cracked intake manifold gasket. I replaced it and in the process broke the nipple off of the MAP sensor. I tried to redneck repair it until I could get to FORD on mon to get a new one but now my truck won't boost at all with no leaks, i can hear the turbo spooling just no vgt pressure, I tried to relearn the vgt cycle with no avail and my truck wont get over about 30 mph and is throwing cylinder 2,3,8 ckt low codes.

Does this sound like a typical MAP sensor failure?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 AM

I don't know on that one due to my truck is doing the same thing, I'll have a look at it tonight and See if my map sensor is hooked up or broken

Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Circuit low codes are related to the FICM and you might also have a cylinder 5 low error as well... Those are all common to the middle connector on the FICM and probably just wasn't seated correctly. Get that middle connector snapped back onto the FICM and see what she does. Keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 AM

Hate to jack the thread but evil eye I have a P0046 code could that be the ficm as well

Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's a turbo code, so it's unlikely FICM related. Double check your VGT solenoid wiring (two wires plugged into the front of the turbo on the passenger side). Sometimes that connector get brittle and can break or it could indicate your turbo vanes are stuck and need to be cleaned.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Can't be my vanes its a new turbo, I'll look at my wiring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.