6.0 LEFT A PUDDLE, worried, help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 LEFT A PUDDLE, worried, help?

Hello, I am new to the board, and a first time diesel owner, Ive got an 05 F-350, all in all I love the truck, just over 8000 miles and the truck has been awesome, The truck is bone stock mechanicaly, but today it left a puddle of coolant in front of the driverside front tire. I did a little web surfing and found nothing, However I found a lot of people talking bad about the 6.0, if you listen to some on other sights you would swear that the 6.0 is nothing more than a boat anchor and owning one is just asking for trouble, Ive owned several Ford trucks with Gas engines, (infact still own a v-10) this is my first diesel, and so far I love it, but now that Ive done some searching on the web, some other sights have me extremely worried that I may have made a mistake on buying the 6.0. All im looking for is the truth, am I in for a big headache? I know the 7.3 was a great engine, I know several people with 200,000 plus and no major problems, does anyone know of anyone with high miles on a 6.0? if so was there any major issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Gear Jammer
Well i cant tell you about your problem. But i can tell you i have a 6.0 and it has a chip and 31,000 and never missed a beat one hell of a motor. I love it. I talked to a guy in a truck stop with a 03 F-450 that tows boats with it and it had over 145,000 on it and it had to go back 1 time. The vale cover gasket started leaking that was it. All and ALL you will hear bad and good on all motors. It really on depends and who it is comeing from. Me i hate durmaxs (jap junk) But is it a good motor I dunno. But i will allways bad mouth it.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I don't knock the duramax's. I haven't heard near as many duramax death stores as I have 6.0's really. The duras are really strong, i've seen more of them at the track and pulling than I have psd's actually. At the irp show a d-max won the drag competition, and two of the 3 pull off-s were d-maxs in sled pulling. They're good motors, I just like powerstrokes better.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

High Miles 6.0L

Hey... The most I've seen on a 6.0L thus far is about 220,000. That's on an '03 that trailers cars up and down the east coast. I've put 3 injectors in over the last two months. Adding all the injectors that everyone in my shop has put into this truck over the last 3 or so years, i'd say 12 or 13. The turbo has been replaced once, and I think it's getting ready for its second. Otherwise, the engine runs pretty well. I don't know if this trucks incredible appetite for injectors will be common amongst higher mileage 6.0L's, because there are so many variables. But from what I've seen, the 6.0L injector is no where near as durable as the 7.3L. Also, this truck is only an '03 with 220,000. Who knows what will happen when most '03 are 8-10 years old and have that kind of mileage.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Hey mndemohead, nice to have ya at Powerstroke! Not sure about your coolant issue but you should be able to trace it somewhat. If you give us a little more info as to where you think it might be coming from lets see if we can help ya.
As far as the 6.0 - shoot man I couldn't tell ya. Mine ROCKS. 17K and the thing is just awesome. I drive it two ways - like I stole it and like......ok I only drive it one way. Will she grenade on me at some point - who honestly knows. I doubt it.
Keep one thing in mind when you read the complaints on other sites, or even this one ---- People who have problems are more vocal about it than are people who are satisfied. I live in Texas, where the truck is KING. I pass literally hundreds of 6.0's a day.....if they were all junk they'd all be in the garage you'd figure. They are selling millions of them. You find one person bent around the axle about a problem and I'll bet I can fine a thousand that think the 6.0 rocks.
Enjoy the site and again it's great to have ya!
Old 11-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Id say with 220,000 some broken parts are normal on any engine, but the way some people make it sound you will never get 50,000 miles out of one without darn near needing a rebuild. Just hope I didnt buy a 50,000 dollar lawn ornament.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have recently seen this problem on a 6.0 not a big deal just a coolant leak at the EGR cooler. Have a had good luck with the 6.0 and we have three of them two in F-350 superduty and one in a F-550
Old 11-14-2005, 03:36 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke Chevelle and thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.