white smoke, blue smoke, overheating. blown head gaskets? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white smoke, blue smoke, overheating. blown head gaskets?

I have an 04 f350 CC 6.0 with just under 40k. I started noticing white smoke followed by overheating. It looks like the smoke might have a blue tint to it when I get on it, but its white when Im stopped and as I take off. As I accellerate the smoke slowly gets less and less. I also noticed my boost pressure staying between 2 and 3psi at idle and dont know if this is normal either. I havent noticed any performance problems, it seems to run great. I have bullydog programer,Intake, exaust, water-meth injection and im worried about what the dealer is gonna say about the mods. If I take all of the mods off are they still gonna know. whats wrong with my truck, what should I do? Please help guys. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

more than likely its your EGR cooler causing the smoke and low coolant causing the overheat.....
Old 01-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same truck and have the same problem. It was the egr cooler , which in turn from over heating caused my cylinder heads to warp! I am looking at a bill of $7000.00
anyone know where to get parts cheap. or even after market parts and will just the heads be a good idea to replace?
Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know your pain! I've been through it. Can you smell coolant in the exaust? When my egr cooler went out you could.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuepup View Post
I have the same truck and have the same problem. It was the egr cooler , which in turn from over heating caused my cylinder heads to warp! I am looking at a bill of $7000.00
anyone know where to get parts cheap. or even after market parts and will just the heads be a good idea to replace?
I don't know if you heard about the ARP studs yet? Since your doing heads you'll want to get them. I found about them just in the nick of time.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes there is the smell of coolant and alot of white smoke. as for the studs i have seen them. thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Banned

WHere is Gresham located? At under 40K you should be under warranty. Most likely it is the EGR cooler and dealers aren't as bad about them and mods as they would be if it was major work.

Remove the mods, return to stock, unhook the batteries for an hour or two, drive it for a few days if you can and then take it in. Some dealers can be real tough about mods and some don't look any further than what they can see in front of them.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 AM

i have an 06 and i am starting to have the same problems it only does it when i tale off. do you all think its the egr cooler as well. and what do you think would cause this.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked06 View Post
i have an 06 and i am starting to have the same problems it only does it when i tale off. do you all think its the egr cooler as well. and what do you think would cause this.
It sounds a lot like a bad EGR cooler. There are a few ways you can tell. They include:

1. White smoke (steam) out of the tailpipe
2. Loss of coolant from the system without any drips on the driveway, no leaks out of the radiator, etc.
3. You can park the truck nose down (back it up a slight hill, turn it off, set the e-brake, chock the wheels, etc) and pull the EGR valve (two bolts). Look inside the intake manifold and see if you find any sign of coolant. If you do.... 99% certain that you need one of our EGR cooler upgrades.

Ford Power Stroke 6.0L Parts Upgrades from BulletProofDiesel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.