Ran fine, filled up diesel, now p0275 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ran fine, filled up diesel, now p0275

Not sure if its a weird coincidence or not but I had about an 1/8 of a tank of fuel left and decided to fill up at Superstore (I usually use Petrocan or Shell). My parents fill their TDI up at Superstore regularly and figured it wouldnt hurt if I put in 10gal. Anyways, I drove maybe 300 feet and came to a yield where I found my truck hunting for an idle around 750-800rpm. No CEL, so I drove a few KM's to get home and it was running like crap, no power, and then stalled when I put it in reverse. Put my SCT on and it gave me a P0275 Cyl #5 contribution fault code. I check the injector wiring, cleaned the plug with electronic cleaner, but didn't help.
Prior to this I was having a cold start issue but put in RevX and that solved it a few months ago.
So my question is, is it possible for an injector to just fail while driving, or should I consult the station just incase others have an issue? Or could it be a sealing washer?

Truck specs:
2005 F350 6.0 auto, 300,000kms, stock head work, stock EGR, SCT Looney Tune, new FICM, Shell synthetic, RevX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Superstore sells lots of fuel, including diesel. I doubt that is your problem. Of course running it low on fuel may have introduced the bottom scum in your tank to the fuel system. If you had injector issues previously, you can expect them to resurface at any time. If you know it is #5, and it is spool stiction, why not try the fix in my sig.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM

I will give it a shot, thanks for that! And the stiction issue was on number 4 injector, which is why I thought it was strange that the issue came on the number 5 cylinder. Although when I had a number 4 code, my truck ran find, except the smokey cold starts.
I was being careful to make sure I filled up sooner but broke my pelvis so I was trying to save myself hoisting up into the beast if I didn't need to. Bit me in the *** I guess.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM

So I did what the video said, it was pretty built up. Bolted it all back together and after some cranking it fired up, quite rough. After idling for a bit and little revving, it seemed to idle very well. No codes are showing up, but now I am having problems with it stalling when going for a quick drive around the block or sometimes when its idling.
Air in the system or whats going on? No codes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

It could still be air. You need to run it for about 1/2 hour with some various pressure cycles and a few start cycles. What is your ICP doing?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Around 580psi at warm idle. I took it for another quickmspin but no stall just felt really low on power
Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm leaning towards maybe stand pipe or dummy plug. Went to back in my driveway and when I cranked the wheel to full lock, my IPR sky rocketed to try and maintain the 580psi ICP. I must have messed up on the reassembly? Maybe buy the stand pipe kit?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggermouth View Post
I'm leaning towards maybe stand pipe or dummy plug. Went to back in my driveway and when I cranked the wheel to full lock, my IPR sky rocketed to try and maintain the 580psi ICP. I must have messed up on the reassembly? Maybe buy the stand pipe kit?
Quite possible.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:35 PM

My only concern is when reading about dummy plugs and stand pipes is people have symptoms of bad hot starts. Mine starts fine hot or cold. Although the IPR voltage goes way up when I full crank the wheel (I have 37's so Im assuming the load from the PS pump is quite high) which the truck cant keep up with. The fact I get no codes has me thinking there is no injector issue anymore.
Am I on the right track? I had no issues prior to the cyl contribution code, so it must be an issue with reinstalling and not replacing the two plugs...
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

It still could be purging air. Drive it like you stoled it for a while and see how it ends up. Idle or slightly more may not get it all purged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.