Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

UPDATE! 6.0 SCT Help!

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  720Deere 
#1 ·
TRUCK IS BACK TO STOCK. After letting the truck sit all night, I went out this morning and took the kids to the bus stop, about a 1/4 mile up the road, truck was still running rough. I let it idle for about 5 minutes and it cleared up. Mashed on the go pedal a few times and it's running fine and strong again. Now, I need to call Doug and see what he can do to his RACE tune for me and my truck but I'm sorta scared now. Should I just call someone else and get a RACE tune from maybe DJ or Eric? I don't want to screw my truck up. It has always ran fine with the stock SCT tunes. Maybe I should leave it alone, but I really want a hot tune to beat up on my Duramax friend!

#2 ·
Talked to Doug again and he said that it was probably a spool valve in one of the injectors that was stuck and not letting the injector perform properly. Said that would make it act like a mis-fire. I asked him if this was a common problem with his tunes and he said he's had this problem before. I asked him what I could do and he replied that I could just try it again. I hate to mess my truck up. Should I try it again or just leave it alone and get another tune from someone else?

#3 ·
I'd try it again and see what happens. Also if you've only got canned tunes I'd try several different custom vendors on here. I've got race files from DJ and Innovative. I'd like to try some others down the road too.

#4 ·
Well my tunes anre'nt exactly canned. They're custom tweaked SCT tunes. When we made my SCT a custom tuner so I could tune my wife's Expedetion, Chris Maglio at SCT tweaked the tunes a bit for me but said he wouldn't do to much without my truck being there to put on the dyno to see what it was doing.

#5 ·
One thing I did notice yesterday when it did run good for a little bit was that with Doug's race tune it didn't run all the gears out through the entire RPM range like it does normally. It shifted the gears very quickly and even at WOT it was in high gear by 50MPH and was pulling pretty hard. I guess it was getting into high gear to let the torque do the work and not the high rpm horsepower. Does this make sense?

#6 ·
Alright, I just loaded up Doug's race tune again and went for a drive SAME THING! I pulled over on the side of the road and returned it to stock, and after about 300 yards down the road it was running fine again. I'm about to go and erase and delete his race file. I'm not saying that it's not any good but it doesn't like my truck for some reason. I did get a couple of runs with it and the power was great but this time it was revving to 4000 rpm's before shifting. Thats too many rpm's for me. I don't remember what it normally shifts at but it's not that high.

#9 ·
3900 to 4000 is where a race tune should shift. If that scares you either have Doug back it down or manually adjust it with your SCT. If you change the shift points to -5 mph that should help. You may have to go further for the higher gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.