Head Gasket issue or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket issue or not?

Hey guys, just joined up. I recently bought a 2006 F-350 with 126,000 on her and I'm having some issues. I've done quite a bit of reading so far, but I'm really trying to pinpoint my problem before I throw money at the truck. The truck is studded, egr delete, with 5in straight pipe.

When I bought the truck everything was fine. Was having some issues with the heat working, so I checked the coolant. It was a little low. So I added some.. and it started puking it out. Figured maybe I just over filled it. Before this I was having what seemed like a misfire. (injectors need replaced) Took it to a shop like 3 minutes after filling it up with a coolant, they came back and said the head gasket was blown because it puked coolant after let it idle up to temp... I was leery, especially after he handed me the quote to fix it which read $8371.00 total... WTF right?

So, I took the truck home.. checked the coolant level, it was at the min mark. Cleaned up the degas bottle around the cap and went out and drove the truck. It's not puking coolant.. but there is a tad bit seeping out from around the cap. (The shop replaced the cap, so its a new cap) I haven't really lost much coolant besides when it's parked it seems like I have a leak somewhere middle to driver side of the truck. The truck hazes a greyish smoke at idle sometimes and when you accelerate at WOT. It's not a solid white smoke. Sometimes, not very frequently I hear a high pitched whistle noise when the truck gets in boost around 20lbs or so. It does it rarely...and it sounds likes its more from the passenger side. I replaced the rubber boots that goes into the turbo, it was junk. Still hear the whistle rarely.

I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I have a head gasket issue or not. What threw me off is that the truck has had head gaskets replaced once since it is studded. The egr is deleted.. but the egr valve is still there.

I'm just looking for some help on figuring this out. This is my first diesel truck, I love the truck, but not really looking to dump more money into the truck that I paid for it.

Any ideas? Is it possible something else is causing my problems? Is it possible for the egr delete to cause this still? It looks similar to sinister's delete kit. Like I said, this is my first diesel, so I don't know much about them.. besides all my friends are giving me hell for buying a Ford. Help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

i just had my truck studded a couple months ago and it started to puke and i was hearing the high pitched whistle as well . turns out it was a cracked rad . i also had heat issues . hope this helps
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 AM

Does the whistle sound like a tea kettle ? Could be a sign of h/g failure try doing a coolant pressure test there some how to video on youtube there's a guy goes by the username Powerstrokehelp he goes into detail on how to test your coolant pressure.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will get the stuff to do the pressure check tomorrow. Tibbo that might explain my coolant leak. I haven't heard the high pitched whistle lately.. and I've put it under a load a lot since then. It's just weird. hopefully my pressure check is good.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sounds exactly like my truck now no heat problems but coolant level a bit low add some it pukes. also when it was could out and when i put the truck in reverse it would lope like an injector i had my head gaskets tested and for sure 19psi they were def leaking not bad though im pulling them next weeknd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.