Bully Dog and my truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Bully Dog and my truck

hey, first off i would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out in the past, this is a great site!
Anyways, i have owned my 03 F-250 6.0 for almost a year now. it has been pretty awesome except for some injector problems. It came with a bully dog triple dog power pup. It has the little outlook monitor, and you can set things like transmission defuel levels, egt defuel levels, etc.. it seems alright, but i have heard so much about the sct systems. what do you guys think? i do not use it much at all. will this thing end up hurting my truck? should i just keep it, or get rid of it? the truck came with it. Oh ya, and the cold starts are still pretty ruff even with the new injectors, so now should i have the dealer but the inductive heat flash on, will the bully dog mess with it some how? Sorry for the long post. i have asked around but it seems people are just not as knowledgeable as the folks here. thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I used to run that exact BullyDog setup - actually I still have the Outlook Monitor I need to sell. Anyway trust me when I say the SCT is simply AMAZING. You have so many more options to get exactly the drive-ability you want if you go with one of custom tuners.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yes, uninstall the bullydog and take it to get the newest flash. just complain to the service manager or advisor that you're experiencing rough start ups.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Yes, remove the BD (you can keep the Outlook for gauges if you want) and get the dealer to install the latest flash, then get the SCT adn have it custom tuned to fit what you want and what will work for your rig. And believe us, you will enjoy it!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkane View Post
hey, first off i would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out in the past, this is a great site!
Anyways, i have owned my 03 F-250 6.0 for almost a year now. it has been pretty awesome except for some injector problems. It came with a bully dog triple dog power pup. It has the little outlook monitor, and you can set things like transmission defuel levels, egt defuel levels, etc.. it seems alright, but i have heard so much about the sct systems. what do you guys think? i do not use it much at all. will this thing end up hurting my truck? should i just keep it, or get rid of it? the truck came with it. Oh ya, and the cold starts are still pretty ruff even with the new injectors, so now should i have the dealer but the inductive heat flash on, will the bully dog mess with it some how? Sorry for the long post. i have asked around but it seems people are just not as knowledgeable as the folks here. thanks again!
if your truck has been living with the bd since 03 maybe you should stick with it if you like how it preforms and just upgrade to the latest flash. seems like the wrong combo often causes problems and the set up you have now dosen't and that means bucks in your pocket.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Actually, i should have stated this, but the bully dog was pretty new when i bought the truck last year, the guy had recently installed it. so it actually does not date back to 03. it has not caused problems, and seems to work ok. i have just heard that people like the sct's alot, and i more so just don't want engine/ trannie failures. i little extra power sometimes is nice though. i am glad all i have to do is unplug it to get the reflash. does the flash help with knocking from the engine. i get a little of that even when i plug it in. thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

SCT > Bully Dog
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
Personally I have the SCT tuning from Innovative. The truck is simply outstanding on the Xtreme tune and a blast to drive. For the most part I run the regular street tune for daily driving, and leave the xtreme tune for weekends. This way I never get "bored" with the power and get tempted to keep turning it up. Mine is still under warranty and I want to keep it that way for a bit.

As for cold start issues, rough run, etc... the sct tuning basically makes this thing drive like a stocker with obscene throttle response!! Very predicable power curve and the trans tuning is excellent with Erics tunes.

The only reason I see that the BD would have any advantage is if you needed switch power programming on the fly. With the SCT you have to stop and "reflash" the computer to change from stock, tow, street, or race tunes. This is about a 1 minute procedure, and for 99% of the time you can drive daily on either the street tune or the extreme street tune. Since I don't have EGT guage, I stay the regular street tune for now until I get the guage.

Just my 2c.......
Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Well said Chuckles...and get that EGT gauge!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Rice Hunter

I've been running the Bully Dog longer than I've been a member of the org. I was a bit concerned at first hearing so many using the SCT. I do like the fact that I can change my own tunes at the push of a button. SCT does seem to be the most popular. I'll keep my BD for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it my pop use to tell me in my earlier hot rod days. He couldn't understand why I had to adjust rockers every weekend when I had a solid cam
God Bless His Heart!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.