Running weird after oil cooler repair. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running weird after oil cooler repair.

Hey Guys,
I'm helping a friend out with his truck. (06 F250) It had the oil cooler replaced by the P.O. but they pinched the o ring and it leaked oil in the valley bad. He pulled it and re sealed it. We didn't fill the oil through the oil filter housing. Long and short we got the truck running, but it runs really rough. If you shut it off and fire it back up it will stumble a bit and then idle normal for a while, then out of no where it kicks up to about 1,000 rpm and runs really choppy. I tried blipping the throttle and it revved to about 2k before suddenly dropping back off. It is throwing an icp and ipr code but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I am wondering if some debris got in the ipr screen. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am at a loss. Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM

I should add the ICP is about 900 and the IPR is 32% when its running weird.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM

I just went out an checked it is continuously throwing p2284. I can clear it and it comes back within seconds. It also threw p2285 once.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 PM

Mine did this also after oil cooler replacement ended up being a bad ipr valve. Exactly the same issues I had.
Also if you havent driven it for 5-10miles and done some wide open runs with it theres a good chance theres still air in the hpop system. Go do that and if it doesnt help..pull the ipr valve and inspect the screen for damage or debris if anything is on the screen or it looks pushed into the ipr its most likely your problem

Last edited by Ranger5.0l; 03-11-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM

I haven't pulled the IPR yet. The throttle is so touchy I am not sure that it would be drivable. You can barely touch the throttle and it will rev to 2500. it was fine when I first started it and everything seemed normal. About 3 minutes later it threw 2284 and 2285 and ran like crap again. Here is the data . We will pull the ipr an see what it looks like. Can the screen be cleaned, or does the sensor have to be replaced? Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM

As far as i know you just have to replace the valve no way to clean it. Its not just the screen being dirty its the fact some of that crap went into the valve and is causing problems. I found alot of Ford OEM IPRs on Ebay for around 150.00 which is cheaper than Ford prices
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5.0l View Post
Mine did this also after oil cooler replacement ended up being a bad ipr valve. Exactly the same issues I had.
Also if you havent driven it for 5-10miles and done some wide open runs with it theres a good chance theres still air in the hpop system. Go do that and if it doesnt help..pull the ipr valve and inspect the screen for damage or debris if anything is on the screen or it looks pushed into the ipr its most likely your problem
I agree that there could be air trapped inside the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.