Oil gauge dropping off after start up. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil gauge dropping off after start up.

truck just recieved an overhaul, did new cyl heads, arp studs the whole 9 etc....

truck starts up and runs great. after start up usually about 10-15 sec the check gauge light will come on and the oil pressure guage in the cluster will drop off.

talked to a international tech and he said its common that after a overhaule there will be air pockets in the HPOP and take about 15-20 min of driving to get the air out... any other ideas? sound likley?

just finished the truck up this weekend and havnt had anytime to get back into it and start any diag but wondering if this is common or someone could point me int he right direction. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Replace the oil pressure switch, notice I didn't say (oil pressure sensor) !?

It's a 7psi pressure switch and if the truck is running your switch is bad the truck would die if the pressure was that low because the hpop would go dry.
It's possible that you have a bad connection just more likely your switch is no good.
Post up how you do with a new one...........I'm sure that's your problem
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Replace the oil pressure switch, notice I didn't say (oil pressure sensor) !?

It's a 7psi pressure switch and if the truck is running your switch is bad the truck would die if the pressure was that low because the hpop would go dry.
It's possible that you have a bad connection just more likely your switch is no good.
Post up how you do with a new one...........I'm sure that's your problem
ordered a OEM one today will see it tomorrow so i will post back and let you know..

also noticed if i rev it to 2-3k the guage will come back to life for a few sec then die out again.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Your fine, that switch is shot, like I said your truck would NOT run if your pressure was at 7 psi, that is the pressure that closes that switch. Its really a joke that International even put that config in but they didn't feel it was all that was necc.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM

well figured id just give an update incase anyone searches for oil pressure issues and this thread comes up, yep it was just the sensor, got a brand new OEM one and it fixed the issue!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.0L oil sending unit replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdriggs View Post
well figured id just give an update incase anyone searches for oil pressure issues and this thread comes up, yep it was just the sensor, got a brand new OEM one and it fixed the issue!
When you replaced the sending unit What size socket was it. Looks like 1 1/16, but before I run out and buy one, though I'd ask. Also, did it come out easy or did you have to play around with it? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHenry View Post
When you replaced the sending unit What size socket was it. Looks like 1 1/16, but before I run out and buy one, though I'd ask. Also, did it come out easy or did you have to play around with it? Thanks.
sorry i cant remember, it was big tho, i think 1 1/16 may be correct not sure tho
Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the same issue that you had when i made the unfortunate decision to put crap aftermark oil filters on the truck. The pressure would fall below 7psi and the gauge would drop out. Just for future viewers

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just for reference as mentioned the dash gauge is just a 7 psi switch and is located behind the oil filter in the top of the oil cooler cover. It is 1 wire and takes a 11mm socket or a 10mm. Deepwell so ya dont break the connector. It registers low pressure oil only.

The ICP sensor is a 1 1/16 and on a 03 is located under the turbo directly on the pump cover. On a late 04 and up it is on the front of the passenger valve cover. It is for the HP oil system. Operational range 500psi to 4000 psi.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Just for reference as mentioned the dash gauge is just a 7 psi switch and is located behind the oil filter in the top of the oil cooler cover. It is 1 wire and takes a 11mm socket or a 10mm. Deepwell so ya dont break the connector. It registers low pressure oil only.

The ICP sensor is a 1 1/16 and on a 03 is located under the turbo directly on the pump cover. On a late 04 and up it is on the front of the passenger valve cover. It is for the HP oil system. Operational range 500psi to 4000 psi.

its is definitely bigger than 10/11mm i know that for a fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.