low boost and crappy fuel mileage. also egt ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low boost and crappy fuel mileage. also egt ?

truck info is in my sig!

ive been reading up on the low boost issue. so i have a few things in mind to try.
my truck hasn't always had low boost, but i cannot remember when i first noticed it. it was for sure after all the performane mods ive done. it doesn't boost over 15psi at WOT, even on a tune. cold idle is like -.4psi. warm idle is like .44psi.

ive looked over all the ic boots and tubes. everything looks good. one boot has a small crack, but its not through. its worth replacing though. im going to screw with my vgt solenoid tomorrow and make sure thats working. my next step i guess would be pulling the turbo and cleaning it. truck has 106,XXX miles on it. I bought it as 87,XXX miles and have never cleaned the turbo (should have when i did the egr delete! UGH!)

few questions i have:
1.would these terrible boost numbers produce terrible fuel mileage? like 9mpg.
2.what boost numbers should i see at idle?
3.how bad can the unison ring be before replacing it? what does bad look like?
4.what are normal idle, driving, and WOT EGT's?

thanx for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Edit. Warm idle boost is .08-.2 at rpms around 700
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM

That would be the first thing i would do. Pull the turbo and clean it.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

When you tune the engine one of the parameters changed is the boost, what you are seeing on the boost gauge is lower then it actually is. Most tunes trick the pcm into thinking it is lower then it is so what you are seeing is probably 5 lbs or more than on gauge.

What I would do first is pull your ebp sensor and clean the tubing it is in, remove it from exhaust manifold and run a wire through it then blow out with air. Then see how you do, that tubing often plugs up with soot and raises hell with the turbo.
No you should be no where near 9mpg, I have 38x15.50 tires and get 16.5mpg on the highway and 13.5-14.0 in town but I am stock with a ficm tune only.
EGT max temps I am thinking 1,200 is the most you want to see but someone else with temp gauge will hopefully chime in and confirm that.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am new to 6.0L's and need some clarification on a couple of terms... what is the EBP Sensor? How do I test FICM votage? What is estimated time to remove/reinstall and clean turbo (I am a HD mechanic, I know my way around tools, just trying to determine if this is an after work evening project or a weekend) Are there any other issues that I should attend to to increase mileage?

I also see 9 mpg or less. As far as I know, stock tune. EGR cooler still in, egr valve disconnected. CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, no cats. Mildly lifted, with 35-12.5/18's. At $4.50+ a gallon, its getting a little tough to swallow. Need a solution or a new truck.

Last edited by eli.krahulec; 03-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM

If your planning on cleaning the turbo, I would recommend just replacing the unison ring and bearings/bushings. Ford sells a turbo repair kit and its not that expensive compared to buying a new/reconditioned turbo! ($250 total if my memory serves me correct) Unison ring #3C3Z-6C885-A (like $175) andthe recond. kit #4C4Z-9V424-AA. I rebuilt mine and since the rebuild/cleaning I've put 30,000mi on the turbo and still making 25psi boost on a stock truck just my 2 pennies!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM

I pulled mine and cleaned it and reinstalled in about 3 hours. don't go crazy taking stuff off it's pretty simple. intake setup, degas bottle, up tube clamp, down tube clamp, intercooler tube, and oil feed tube should be able to sneek it out! mine however was rusted solid and is still sticking! so if anyone knows where the cheapest factory turbo is let me know!! good luck!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well i took a quick look at my truck today. right after i started it up i pulled the vgt plug. whenever i would unplug/plug it it would change the exhaust tone as it should. i did notice,however, that it doesn't do it automatically like it used to (while idleling cold it would cycle by itself)

i did also find and fix a problem:
when i was messing around with that plug i noticed a lot of air blowing on my hand. here it was the smaller black hose on the passenger side of the intake (map hose?) it was broke open and pouring air out. i cut it and reclamped it. now im seeing much higher boost (23ish tops) and driving boost is much higher and stuff.

i still plan to rip the turbo out and clean it. i sapose ill throw a rebuild kit at it while im in it. any options for cheaper rebuild kits online? i browsed real quickly and found a unison ring on riffraff for $128. any other places i should look for good prices?

thanx!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just ran a half tank of fuel today. all highway. i only got about 115 miles on a half tank. mind you i have 37's and i was going off the odometer on the truck, but still. i used to get WAY more miles out of a tank.

i was on the pre-loaded performance tune, 97% highway.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli.krahulec View Post
I am new to 6.0L's and need some clarification on a couple of terms... what is the EBP Sensor? How do I test FICM votage? What is estimated time to remove/reinstall and clean turbo (I am a HD mechanic, I know my way around tools, just trying to determine if this is an after work evening project or a weekend) Are there any other issues that I should attend to to increase mileage?

I also see 9 mpg or less. As far as I know, stock tune. EGR cooler still in, egr valve disconnected. CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, no cats. Mildly lifted, with 35-12.5/18's. At $4.50+ a gallon, its getting a little tough to swallow. Need a solution or a new truck.
Best way to test your ficm is to get a monitor (EDGE or the scanguage II is most popular) As far as how long it would/could take to r/r a turbo I would say a couple hours.. There is guys he who will say "I can do it in 30 minutes...." but I find getting the darn thing sealed with no leaks to be alot of fun...but over all not a hard job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.