arp studs and still puking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
arp studs and still puking

Hi, this is my 1st post so i hope someone can help me out...

about two months ago i took my truck in bc it was puking coolant...tech just looked at it and said heads were blown so they changed them out and put arp studs in for me no problem. It's been running fine untill i saw coolant blowing out again today...the max boost and egt have been 31 and around 1250 since the new studs? My question is this shouldn't cause the arp studs to stretch should it? If it's not the heads again what else could it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did they change the heads or just the gaskets? Also, EGR and oil coolers can cause puking, not just bad head gaskets. The ARP's won't stretch.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM

they changed the heads and the gaskets...
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM

As npccpartsman mentioned the egr & oil cooler are a major source of the puking. Do a search on it and you can read all about it. If you haven't lost a egr cooler yet, you probably will running those temps. You might want to read up on the egr delete too.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 PM

I forgot to metion that there is alot of info on the coolant level in the tank (I forget the technical name). You want to be careful about overfilling. Or it could be something as simple as the cap. More info on your truck is useful. You should put it in your signature.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM

the coolant level in the tank was up to where the sticker on the outside said..i think it was right.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd be more concerned about the banks than anything. It's very possibly causing you more harm than you know.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM

i understand having it ups my chances of stuff going wrong...thats why i went ahead and had the ARP studs put in..i know it could be the egr or oil cooler going bad...i guess im just wondering if thats more than likely the problem or should i be worried about the heads messing up again?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

This is a case where a good scan tool like Auto Enginuity would come in handy. AE can monitor the engine oil temp in real time as well as up to 11 other readings at one time. If the oil cooler is restricted you would find out real fast. It seems that the root of most puking problems is the egr cooler boiling the coolant which is ultimately caused by a plugged or restricted oil cooler.

Many techs don't address the root cause. I have an 05 F550 at work that's had 2 egr coolers at 2 different dealers and neither has replaced the oil cooler yet. If you do end up with a new oil cooler, do yourself a favor and get a bypass coolant filter to get rid of the casting sand in your cooling system.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:09 PM

I had the six gun until recently. You might want to do a search on it too, but it will just get you depressed. That's a whole nother topic. They are SCT fans around here. I haven't got the chance to try mine out much yet, but I will have to say it feels so much better. I wish I would have found this site before I started my mods.

There was recall to change the coolant level for certain years that I can't remember. That's why I brought that up. If you have a sticker then I believe you had that done. Even then I read it best to keep it at the minimum level.

More qualified help has arrived. I'll keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by wtprez; 01-11-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.